The answer is that it's unlikely to work, but I can't say for certain.

We haven't tested that configuration heavily ourselves, so we'd be unable
to provide much help or insight into what's going on if you were to run
into problems. Impala relies on Hive's metastore, and the format of that
changes from version to version. We've definitely seen compatibility
problems between different versions, and this is why we recommend using the
components from the most recent release of CDH.

Best,
Henry