If I create an avro table in Hive, Impala can read it without problem, but
I cannot run the same create table statement in Impala because Impala
doesn't support SerDe row format and INPUT FORMAT and OUTPUT FORMAT for
"stored as".

My problem is: If I can run a create-table query through JDBC driver, I
don't have to "refresh" Impala. Otherwise, I need to refresh Impala to read
the avro tables created by Hive. Unfortunately JDBC driver doesn't support
refresh query now.

Is there a thrift call for "refresh"?

When will impala support creating avro table?

Search Discussions

  • Skye Wanderman-Milne at Jun 17, 2013 at 10:47 pm
    Yes, there's a Thrift RPC -- the easiest way to call it is to use the shell
    as follows: impala-shell -q "refresh"

    IMPALA-387 <https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-387> aims to make
    refresh a first-class statement in our SQL dialect, and should make
    refreshing the catalog through JDBC and ODBC much easier.

    I've filed IMPALA-426 <https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-426> to
    track Avro table creation support. While I doubt this will make it into the
    next release, we'll try to resolve this as soon as possible.

    Thanks,
    Skye
    If I create an avro table in Hive, Impala can read it without problem, but
    I cannot run the same create table statement in Impala because Impala
    doesn't support SerDe row format and INPUT FORMAT and OUTPUT FORMAT for
    "stored as".

    My problem is: If I can run a create-table query through JDBC driver, I
    don't have to "refresh" Impala. Otherwise, I need to refresh Impala to read
    the avro tables created by Hive. Unfortunately JDBC driver doesn't support
    refresh query now.

    Is there a thrift call for "refresh"?

    When will impala support creating avro table?

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJun 17, '13 at 3:24p
activeJun 17, '13 at 10:47p