Hi Cloudera/Everyone,

-- Does Cloudera suggest/have a generic ODBC driver for Windows 7, 64bit
OS? For example, I want to use the ODBC driver to connect MS Excel to
Impala in a Windows 7 environment.

After researching Cloudera documents for a few days (starts from:
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Impala/latest/Installing-and-Using-Impala/ciiu_impala_odbc.html),
I only saw connectors for MSTR, Tableau, Qlikview, Oracle etc, but I did
not see a generic one that can be used an ODBC driver for MS Excel (or any
generic reporting tool from Windows platforms). As a matter of fact, I
tried most of these drivers, but none of them worked for MS Excel.

Does a generic Windows ODBC dirver to Impala/Hive ever exist?

Thank you in advance,

Aaron A

Search Discussions

  • Aaron A at Jun 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    Any help?
    Did I ask the question in a wrong forum? Really, this is just a Yes/No
    question.
    -- Does Cloudera suggest/have a generic ODBC driver for Windows 7, 64bit
    OS? For example, I want to use the ODBC driver to connect MS Excel to
    Impala in a Windows 7 environment.

    After researching Cloudera documents for a few days (starts from:
    http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Impala/latest/Installing-and-Using-Impala/ciiu_impala_odbc.html),
    I only saw connectors for MSTR, Tableau, Qlikview, Oracle etc, but I did
    not see a generic one that can be used an ODBC driver for MS Excel (or any
    generic reporting tool from Windows platforms). As a matter of fact, I
    tried most of these drivers, but none of them worked for MS Excel.

    Does a generic Windows ODBC dirver to Impala/Hive ever exist?

    Thank you in advance,

    Aaron A

  • Udai Kiran Potluri at Jun 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    Hello Aaron,

    You have reached the correct forum for your question. The ODBC drivers we
    have are for 32bit drivers that could be used on a 64 bit Windows. The
    driver is essentially the same, however, the instructions and methods of
    setup for each vendor aka MSTR, Tableau, Qlikview are different.

    However, we have not tested the driver for use with MS Excel at this time.

    Thanks,
    Udai

    ciiu_impala_odbc.html<http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Impala/latest/Installing-and-Using-Impala/ciiu_impala_odbc.html>),
    I only saw connectors for MSTR, Tableau, Qlikview, Oracle etc, but I did
    not see a generic one that can be used an ODBC driver for MS Excel (or any
    generic reporting tool from Windows platforms). As a matter of fact, I
    tried most of these drivers, but none of them worked for MS Excel.

    Does a generic Windows ODBC dirver to Impala/Hive ever exist?

    Thank you in advance,

    Aaron A

  • Aaron A at Jun 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm
    Udai,

    Thanks for the reply. When I use it for 32 bit DSN(created with
    odbcad32.exe on Win7 64bit) and try to connect EC2 Ubuntu 12.04 medium host
    with port 21000 (policy opened), I got "can't list databases" error from MS
    Excel data->from other source->connection wizard with provided source
    name,host,port & type(Beeswax).

    What possibly I could do wrong? When you have a chance, can you give MS
    Excel a try?

    Thanks,

    Aaron A

    On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Aaron A <info1...@gmail.com <javascript:>
[...]

  • Aaron A at Jun 19, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    Udai,

    Do you have a chance to try any ODBC connector (registered in odbcad32.exe
    as a DSN) from MS Excel(32 bit) on Win7 64bit pro to Impalad (EC2,
    port:21000, type:Beeswax) ?
    I still have "The Data connection Wizard cannot obtain a list of databases
    from the specified data source.". Is there anything you can help?
    Thanks,

    Aaron A
    -- Does Cloudera suggest/have a generic ODBC driver for Windows 7, 64bit
    OS? For example, I want to use the ODBC driver to connect MS Excel to
    Impala in a Windows 7 environment.

    After researching Cloudera documents for a few days (starts from:
    http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Impala/latest/Installing-and-Using-Impala/ciiu_impala_odbc.html),
    I only saw connectors for MSTR, Tableau, Qlikview, Oracle etc, but I did
    not see a generic one that can be used an ODBC driver for MS Excel (or any
    generic reporting tool from Windows platforms). As a matter of fact, I
    tried most of these drivers, but none of them worked for MS Excel.

    Does a generic Windows ODBC dirver to Impala/Hive ever exist?

    Thank you in advance,

    Aaron A

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJun 3, '13 at 9:54p
activeJun 19, '13 at 9:19p
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Aaron A: 4 posts Udai Kiran Potluri: 1 post