Running CDH 4.3.0, Impala 1.0

I've got a Hive table created using a pig script with the HCatStorer. It's
an RCFile with Snappy compression format. Impala sees the table and the
schema but returns no records for it. No errors in the logs either, it's as
if it thinks it's empty. Queries run fine via Hive though. I've refreshed
both the catalog and the table itself as well as restarted the impala
services.

Is this a supported scenario or not? I saw an old message on this forum
about HCatalog, but wasn't sure if this is related at all.

Thanks,
Silvio

Search Discussions

  • Lenni Kuff at Jun 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    Hi Silvio,
    Could send us the impalad logs after running a query against this table?

    Thanks,
    Lenni
    Software Engineer - Cloudera
    I've got a Hive table created using a pig script with the HCatStorer. It's
    an RCFile with Snappy compression format. Impala sees the table and the
    schema but returns no records for it. No errors in the logs either, it's as
    if it thinks it's empty. Queries run fine via Hive though. I've refreshed
    both the catalog and the table itself as well as restarted the impala
    services.

    Is this a supported scenario or not? I saw an old message on this forum
    about HCatalog, but wasn't sure if this is related at all.

    Thanks,
    Silvio
  • Silvio Fiorito at Jun 1, 2013 at 3:32 pm
    Lenni,

    Attached is the full log of running the query. Just to reiterate: I created the table in Hive (RCFile, Snappy, two partitions), used pig to insert data with HCatStorer, refreshed the table in impala-shell, ran the query in impala-shell. Running the query in Hive works fine. Also, I tried uncompressed text file and that also returns no data.

    Thanks,
    Silvio

    Could send us the impalad logs after running a query against this table?

    Thanks,
    Lenni
    Software Engineer - Cloudera

    I've got a Hive table created using a pig script with the HCatStorer. It's an RCFile with Snappy compression format. Impala sees the table and the schema but returns no records for it. No errors in the logs either, it's as if it thinks it's empty. Queries run fine via Hive though. I've refreshed both the catalog and the table itself as well as restarted the impala services.

    Is this a supported scenario or not? I saw an old message on this forum about HCatalog, but wasn't sure if this is related at all.

    Thanks,
    Silvio

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedMay 30, '13 at 8:47p
activeJun 1, '13 at 3:32p
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Silvio Fiorito: 2 posts Lenni Kuff: 1 post