we have a bunch of structured data in avro that i would like to play with
in impala. i've managed to get parquet-avro to write out the parquet
files, but i'm wondering if there's an easy way to create the table
definition (ie the columns) to make the files visible in impala. or do i
have to look at the parquet format and manually convert it into a table def?

Search Discussions

  • Skye Wanderman-Milne at May 22, 2013 at 9:45 pm
    You have to manually create the table definition.

    Unfortunately there are a few incompatibilities between Impala and MR's
    Parquet implementations at the moment, so you might run into trouble
    querying your Parquet table. These will be fixed in the next Impala
    release, but for now you may want to create a table in Hive over the
    original Avro files (which you can then query with Impala). You can also
    use Impala to convert an Avro table to a Parquet table.
    we have a bunch of structured data in avro that i would like to play with
    in impala. i've managed to get parquet-avro to write out the parquet
    files, but i'm wondering if there's an easy way to create the table
    definition (ie the columns) to make the files visible in impala. or do i
    have to look at the parquet format and manually convert it into a table def?

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedMay 22, '13 at 10:07a
activeMay 22, '13 at 9:45p