Hi Folks,

We have a CDH 4.2.0 Hadoop installation from tarballs and Impala 1.0
installation from RPM. I've decided to install libhadoop.so to Hadoop.
However, I don't want to build the library. Instead, I've copied it from
Impala to my Hadoop directory. So far I haven't seen any issues.

I am a bit worried whether what I did was correct. In this regard, I have
two questions:

1. Is Impala 1.0 libhadoop.so 100% compatible with CDH Hadoop 4.2.0 ?
2. We are planning to upgrade to CDH 4.2.1 soon. Will libhadoop.so from
Impala 1.0 be compatible with CDH Hadoop 4.2.1?

Thanks,
- Alex.

Search Discussions

  • Alex Behm at May 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    Hi Alex,

    first a word of caution: I doubt the specific use case of yours is
    verifiedcompletely.

    That said, the Impala 1.0 libhadoop.so is built directly from the same
    source as CDH 4.2.0's Hadoop, so any "subtle" incompatibility would be very
    surprising.

    To answer your questions:

    1. I believe it it safe to say "yes"
    2. The minor release change (4.2.0 to 4.2.1) should not introduce any such
    incompatibilities. So I'd say it is relatively safe.

    Best regards,

    Alex

    We have a CDH 4.2.0 Hadoop installation from tarballs and Impala 1.0
    installation from RPM. I've decided to install libhadoop.so to Hadoop.
    However, I don't want to build the library. Instead, I've copied it from
    Impala to my Hadoop directory. So far I haven't seen any issues.

    I am a bit worried whether what I did was correct. In this regard, I have
    two questions:

    1. Is Impala 1.0 libhadoop.so 100% compatible with CDH Hadoop 4.2.0 ?
    2. We are planning to upgrade to CDH 4.2.1 soon. Will libhadoop.so from
    Impala 1.0 be compatible with CDH Hadoop 4.2.1?

    Thanks,
    - Alex.
  • Alex I at May 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    Hi Alex,

    Thanks for your response!

    Cheers,

    On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Alex I <alexande...@gmail.com<javascript:>
    We have a CDH 4.2.0 Hadoop installation from tarballs and Impala 1.0
    installation from RPM. I've decided to install libhadoop.so to Hadoop.
    However, I don't want to build the library. Instead, I've copied it from
    Impala to my Hadoop directory. So far I haven't seen any issues.

    I am a bit worried whether what I did was correct. In this regard, I have
    two questions:

    1. Is Impala 1.0 libhadoop.so 100% compatible with CDH Hadoop 4.2.0 ?
    2. We are planning to upgrade to CDH 4.2.1 soon. Will libhadoop.so from
    Impala 1.0 be compatible with CDH Hadoop 4.2.1?

    Thanks,
    - Alex.

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop