On Monday, December 3, 2012 3:28:54 PM UTC+5:30, Suresh K wrote:
HI,

I have one cluster with 2 nodes running on Amazon EC2 with impala
configured and working.

On my windows PC, i installed MSTR ODBC driver and configured as outlined
here,

https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/IMPALA10BETADOC/Configuring+Impala+to+Work+with+ODBC

but when i try to connect from php script, i get following error,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thrift: Mon Dec 03 15:19:03 2012 TSocket::open() connect() <Host:
ec2-*.*.*.*.compute-1.amazonaws.com Port: 21000>errno = 0
DBOpenConnection: connect() failed: errno = 0

Warning: odbc_connect(): SQL error: Communication link failure, SQL state
08S01 in SQLConnect in TestImpala.php on line 4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What am i missing?

Thanks in Advance.
Regards,
Suresh

Hi Jonathan,
I am getting the below error when running the report Microstrategy which is
connected to IMPALA Server. I am able to connect to warehouse catalog and
also able to import the required table and create facts and attribute. But
when i run the report i am getting the below error, can u please help me
out to resolve this issue...

""Error type: Odbc error. Odbc operation attempted: SQLExecDirect.
[42000:0: on HSTMT] com.cloudera.impala.common.AnalysisException: Syntax
error at:

set hive.auto.convert.join=true

^

Encountered: IDENTIFIER

Expected: DESCRIBE, SELECT, SHOW, USE, INSERT

at
com.cloudera.impala.analysis.AnalysisContext.analyze(AnalysisContext.java:135)

at com.cloudera.impala.service.Frontend.createExecRequest(Frontend.java:221)

at
com.cloudera.impala.service.JniFrontend.createExecRequest(JniFrontend.java:91)

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Syntax error

at com.cloudera.impala.analysis.SqlParser.unrecovere Connection String:
DSN=DSN_POC_IMP;DATABASE=aham;HOST=10.155.100.140;PORT=21000;FRAMED=;. SQL
Statement: set hive.auto.convert.join=true.""

Regards,

Santhakumar

Search Discussions

  • Kirk True at Apr 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    I'm running into the same basic issue but from JDBC.

    CMIIW, but it looks like you can specify the configuration as parameters in
    the connection string to JDBC. Perhaps you can try including the Hive
    parameter as part of the connection string to your ODBC source?

    I have one cluster with 2 nodes running on Amazon EC2 with impala
    configured and working.

    On my windows PC, i installed MSTR ODBC driver and configured as outlined
    here,

    https://ccp.cloudera.com/**display/IMPALA10BETADOC/**
    Configuring+Impala+to+Work+**with+ODBC<https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/IMPALA10BETADOC/Configuring+Impala+to+Work+with+ODBC>

    but when i try to connect from php script, i get following error,
    ------------------------------**------------------------------**
    ------------------------------**------------------------------**
    ------------------------------**------------------------------**------
    Thrift: Mon Dec 03 15:19:03 2012 TSocket::open() connect() <Host:
    ec2-*.*.*.*.compute-1.**amazonaws.com <http://compute-1.amazonaws.com>Port: 21000>errno = 0
[...]

  • Alex Behm at Apr 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    "set hive.auto.convert.join=true" is a Hive-specific command that enables
    Hive to automatically choose Map-side joins.
    The command has no meaning in Impala because it's execution engine is not
    based on Map-Reduce.

    I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be to simply omit such Hive-specific
    commands.

    Cheers,

    Alex

[...]

  • Kirk True at Apr 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    Hi Alex,

    Yes, in this case it's a configuration option that's specific to the Apache
    Hive execution engine. But what about other options such as fs.defaultFS?
    How do we set those in Impala when using JDBC/ODBC?

    Thanks,
    Kirk

[...]

  • Jonathan Seidman at Apr 16, 2013 at 9:41 pm
    Santha,

    You should be able to fix this by changing the setting ‘Report Pre
    statement 1’ under pre/post statements in the MSTR VLDB settings. Note that
    this shouldn't be an issue with more recent versions of MSTR, but if you're
    using an earlier version than you'll need to modify this setting.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

[...]

  • Santha Kumar at Apr 18, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    Hi Jonathan,

    We are using MSTR version 9.3. So i think there won't be much issue. Can
    you please clarify on " the setting ‘Report Pre statement 1’ under pre/post
    statements in the MSTR VLDB settings". It would be very much helpful if you
    can elaborate a little.

    Regards,
    San

[...]

  • Jonathan Seidman at Apr 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    Yes, as far as I know you should not be seeing this with 9.3. Here's some
    follow up from a MSTR resource – see if the following helps, and if not
    we'll need to follow up:

    If they RMC on the MicroStrategy Database Instance…VLDB Properties…Report
    Pre/Post SQL…Pre SQL Statement 5, they should see this statement in there.
    They can just blank that out, save and close, restart I-server and give
    this a try.

[...]

  • Santha Kumar at Apr 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    Hi Jonathan,

    That was awesome. It really solved my issue which i mentioned above.
    I am able to connect to Impala through microstrategy. Thank you so much...:)

    Regards,
    Santhakumar

[...]

  • Jonathan Seidman at Apr 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    Thanks for the update Santhakumar. Glad to hear this helped, although it's
    interesting that you still needed to change this with 9.3. I'll follow up
    with MSTR to see if this is expected behavior.

    On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Jonathan Seidman <jseidman@cloudera.com

    ------
[...]

  • Santha Kumar at May 6, 2013 at 7:08 am
    Hi Jonathan,

    I am again facing an issue with respect to connectivity. This time, i am
    trying to connet to impala through Microstrategy and both are available in
    AWS. We installed the cloudera connector and tried to access the impala
    tables. But we are not able to connect, getting the same error as attached,

    Is there a difference in connecting in AWS?
    Please verify and let me know the issue.

[...]

  • Ray Duong at May 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    Hi Jonathan,

    I'm also trying to connect MSTR 9.3.1 to Impala. I have port 21000 open on
    all the Impala nodes and was able to connect using the Impala shell.

    When setting up the MSTR database connect, I choose the HiveThrift 0.9.x
    driver, set the host to be one of the Impala node and port 21000. When I
    tried to connect using the WH Catalog, I get the following error message.

    Error type: System call error. Command
    ConnectionInternalFactoryCreateConnection; threw BaseException:
    org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException: Invalid method name: 'execute'
    at
    org.apache.thrift.TApplicationException.read(TApplicationException.java:108)
    at org.apache.thrift.TServiceClient.receiveBase(TServiceClient.java:71)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.recv_execute(ThriftHive.java:105)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.execute(ThriftHive.java:92)
    at
    com.microstrategy.database.hive.HiveConnection.<init>(HiveConnection.java:23)

    Using the same drivers, I also tried to connect to Hive Gateway using port
    10000 and go the following error message:

    Error type: System call error. Command
    ConnectionInternalFactoryCreateConnection; threw BaseException:
    org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.ConnectException:
    Connection refused
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:183)
    at
    com.microstrategy.database.hive.HiveConnection.<init>(HiveConnection.java:18)
    Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:178)
    ... 1 more

    I noticed that Cloudera Manager has installed HiveServer2, is this backward
    compatible with all the old Thrift drivers?

    Thanks,
    -Ray