When Impala eventually supports writing to a table (like hive can do), will
it be necessary to run impala refresh to update the metadata?
We are wondering because we might want to write to a cached table, but we
do not want to have to so a lot of asynchronous refreshes. It would be nice
if impala could automatically update its own metadata without an explicit
refresh if it is the one doing the write. I realize this question is a bit
speculative since the write feature does not exist yet, but the answer
could influence things we are trying to design now.
-Barry

Search Discussions

  • Henry Robinson at Apr 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm

    When Impala eventually supports writing to a table (like hive can do),
    will it be necessary to run impala refresh to update the metadata?
    We are wondering because we might want to write to a cached table, but we
    do not want to have to so a lot of asynchronous refreshes. It would be nice
    if impala could automatically update its own metadata without an explicit
    refresh if it is the one doing the write. I realize this question is a bit
    speculative since the write feature does not exist yet, but the answer
    could influence things we are trying to design now.
    -Barry
    Hi Barry -

    Impala already supports writing to a table via the INSERT statement. And
    like you hope, if an Impala daemon runs an INSERT query, it will
    automatically update its own metadata without need for a refresh.

    Is that sufficient for your use case, or were you referring to another
    mechanism that Hive has for writing data?

    Best,
    Henry

    --
    Henry Robinson
    Software Engineer

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedApr 12, '13 at 1:06p
activeApr 12, '13 at 4:18p
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Barry Becker: 1 post Henry Robinson: 1 post