FAQ
Looking for feedback on our quick demo of Simba's integration of doing MDX
queries over Cloudera's Impala for use with Microsoft Excel Pivot Tables.

*http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0* <http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0>

Search Discussions

  • John Tyler at Feb 22, 2013 at 12:13 pm
    That is very impressive! Aside from the obvious questions about when and how this might be available, can you shed any light on what sorts of MDX capabilities you've been able to translate into HiveQL, or perhaps more importantly what is not supported? If you'd like some help beta testing this at some point, please feel free to contact me directly as we have previous experience with Simba (connecting to SAP HANA) and more recently have been spending a lot of time with Impala.

    Cheers,
    John Tyler
  • Simba at Feb 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm
    Hi John, thanks for your kind words and for your offer to test! The
    software is in early development and we’re not quite at the stage where we
    can talk about availability. We really appreciate your feedback and any
    suggestions you have for us. Suggestions in terms of the types of data sets
    you want to analyze, the MDX functionality you want to use, and Excel
    features you want to use would be very helpful.



    We cover the breadth of functionality in MDX. This includes both MDX query
    support and MDX calculation support for those calculated members and
    measures inside the cube. We adapted Simba’s MDX engine, which translates
    MDX->SQL, to do the MDX->HiveQL translation. HiveQL supports almost all SQL
    constructs, so this adaptation was not too difficult. There are no
    meaningful restrictions in what you can do with MDX to be aware of at this
    time.
    On Friday, 22 February 2013 04:13:07 UTC-8, John Tyler wrote:

    That is very impressive! Aside from the obvious questions about when and
    how this might be available, can you shed any light on what sorts of MDX
    capabilities you've been able to translate into HiveQL, or perhaps more
    importantly what is not supported? If you'd like some help beta testing
    this at some point, please feel free to contact me directly as we have
    previous experience with Simba (connecting to SAP HANA) and more recently
    have been spending a lot of time with Impala.

    Cheers,
    John Tyler
  • Anil Maharjan at Feb 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    It seems we will be having multidimensional structure underlying the Impala
    table structures .So Wont it be any performance issue , since we are going
    to convert the MDx query into the HiveQL and sends the HiveQL to Impala,
    collects the results and returns them to the end user.

    So, At peak usage time wont the system with more users will tend to suffer
    more performance problems if I wasn’t wrong on this. Hope to see and use
    this great tool in near future.
    Thanks,
    Anil Maharjan
  • Simba at Mar 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm
    Hi Anil,

    Thanks for the note.

    We do not expect any direct performance issues with the generated HiveQL
    due to Impala's performance.

    With regards to peak time and high concurrent user load, that will be
    Impala's responsibility which I understand they're working on.

    George
    On Wednesday, 27 February 2013 04:33:18 UTC-8, Anil Maharjan wrote:

    It seems we will be having multidimensional structure underlying the
    Impala table structures .So Wont it be any performance issue , since we are
    going to convert the MDx query into the HiveQL and sends the HiveQL to
    Impala, collects the results and returns them to the end user.

    So, At peak usage time wont the system with more users will tend to suffer
    more performance problems if I wasn’t wrong on this. Hope to see and use
    this great tool in near future.
    Thanks,
    Anil Maharjan
  • Nenshad Bardoliwalla at Feb 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    This is very interesting and certainly something that would be valuable in
    the market. How and where are the "cube" definitions that the MDX
    references mapped to the underlying Impala table structures?
    On Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:58:55 PM UTC-8, Simba wrote:

    Looking for feedback on our quick demo of Simba's integration of doing MDX
    queries over Cloudera's Impala for use with Microsoft Excel Pivot Tables.

    *http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0* <http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0>
  • Simba at Feb 25, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    Hi Nenshad, Simba has a tool targeted at developers for building cube
    definitions, which we call a schema. Conceptually, this tool is similar to
    the one for building Analysis Services cubes. The cube definition written
    in Simba’s tool generates some XML that maps MDX metadata constructs to the
    Impala table structures. In this demonstration we store the XML in a flat
    file; the final location of the schema for a full version of the product is
    yet to be determined.
    On Friday, 22 February 2013 09:42:28 UTC-8, Nenshad Bardoliwalla wrote:

    This is very interesting and certainly something that would be valuable in
    the market. How and where are the "cube" definitions that the MDX
    references mapped to the underlying Impala table structures?
    On Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:58:55 PM UTC-8, Simba wrote:

    Looking for feedback on our quick demo of Simba's integration of doing
    MDX queries over Cloudera's Impala for use with Microsoft Excel Pivot
    Tables.

    *http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0* <http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0>
  • Bobdoss at Feb 26, 2013 at 10:24 am
    On Friday, 22 February 2013 08:58:55 UTC+11, Simba wrote:
    Looking for feedback on our quick demo of Simba's integration of doing MDX
    queries over Cloudera's Impala for use with Microsoft Excel Pivot Tables.

    *http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0* <http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0>
    Hi, I think this is great! I will use it.
  • Kaushalj at Jun 26, 2014 at 7:01 pm
    Hi Simba Team,
         first off this is excellent work ! it makes total (business and
    technical) sense to have excel pivots connect via the cubes to the bigdata
    impala tables.
    given that it has been about a year and a half, is it live now by any
    chance? if not i'd be happy to beta test this out and provide feeback.
    please let me know


    Thanks
    Kaushal Jha


    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to impala-user+unsubscribe@cloudera.org.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedFeb 21, '13 at 9:58p
activeJun 26, '14 at 7:01p
posts9
users6
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase