Hello Experts,

I am working on comparing impala with hive on a cluster with 8 nodes mostly
from response time perspective.

I will really appreciate if people can share there experiences in this
regard. I will also publish my results to the group once I am done.

Thanks,
Romit.

  • Justin Erickson at Dec 14, 2012 at 2:29 am
    Hi Romit,

    We have a doc section on "Testing Impala for High Performance
    Configuration" that describes how to confirm that you are operating with
    necessary performance configuration:
    https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/IMPALA10BETADOC/Configuring+Impala+for+Performance+without+Cloudera+Manager

    I'd also recommend running a simple SELECT COUNT(*) query on one of your
    larger tables and confirming that you're seeing approximately 100 MB/s per
    disk. If not there is likely something not optimally configured.

    The following blog has links to some external experiences others have
    documented:
    http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2012/11/external-observations-about-cloudera-impala/

    Really eager to your results.

    Thanks,