I'm trying to install Hue on separate machine, outside cluster and use Hive
UI (Beeswax)

I set up beeswax_server_host and beeswax_meta_server_host properties
in apps/beeswax/src/beeswax/conf.py

Beeswax server and Hive is on separate machine, which is datanode in hadoop
cluster.

I use build/env/bin/hue runspawningserver to start Hue. It starts
successfully, but on /beeswax I see

Error!

Invalid method name: 'get_all_databases'

What's wrong?
What I need do?

I see Installing Hue outside Hadoop Cluster<https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/hue-user/DFvJmYSYFvA>,
but there are not explaination for Beeswax.

Thanks,
Nikolay

Search Discussions

  • Abraham Elmahrek at Jun 13, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    Nikolay,

    It seems like it's having trouble connecting to the hive metastore or
    beeswax metastore service. Do you have a hive-site.xml available for hue to
    use? There should be a config parameter (something like hive_conf_dir) in
    hue.ini.

    -Abe

    On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Nikolay Makhotkin
    I'm trying to install Hue on separate machine, outside cluster and use
    Hive UI (Beeswax)

    I set up beeswax_server_host and beeswax_meta_server_host properties
    in apps/beeswax/src/beeswax/conf.py

    Beeswax server and Hive is on separate machine, which is datanode in
    hadoop cluster.

    I use build/env/bin/hue runspawningserver to start Hue. It starts
    successfully, but on /beeswax I see

    Error!

    Invalid method name: 'get_all_databases'

    What's wrong?
    What I need do?

    I see Installing Hue outside Hadoop Cluster<https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/hue-user/DFvJmYSYFvA>,
    but there are not explaination for Beeswax.

    Thanks,
    Nikolay
  • Romain Rigaux at Jun 13, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    Agreed with above. We need the hive-site.xml from where Beeswax is
    installed and the one from where Hue is started.

    Also the logs from Beeswax + Hue version could be useful.

    Romain

[...]

  • Nmakhotkin at Jun 13, 2013 at 7:15 pm
    Yes, I have hive-site.xml on node of cluster (where Beeswax server is
    running), but I am running hue server from my machine and using hue sdk for
    sending queries to Beeswax server. (There I don't have conf files using
    SDK, all configs in desktop/conf/ and apps/beeswax/src/beeswax/conf.py)

    Is it able to execute queries remotely from machine without hadoop and hive?

    On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Nikolay Makhotkin <nmakh...@mirantis.com<javascript:>
    I'm trying to install Hue on separate machine, outside cluster and use
    Hive UI (Beeswax)

    I set up beeswax_server_host and beeswax_meta_server_host properties
    in apps/beeswax/src/beeswax/conf.py

    Beeswax server and Hive is on separate machine, which is datanode in
    hadoop cluster.

    I use build/env/bin/hue runspawningserver to start Hue. It starts
    successfully, but on /beeswax I see

    Error!

    Invalid method name: 'get_all_databases'

    What's wrong?
    What I need do?

    I see Installing Hue outside Hadoop Cluster<https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/hue-user/DFvJmYSYFvA>,
    but there are not explaination for Beeswax.

    Thanks,
    Nikolay
  • Nmakhotkin at Jun 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    in conf.py of HUE SDK hive_conf_dir = /etc/hive/conf, which point to really
    hive conf directory configuration on cluster
  • Nmakhotkin at Jun 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm
    And I'm trying this code from hue shell (with preconfigured
    beeswax_server_host and beeswax_meta_server_host) :

    from beeswax.server import dbms
    from django.contrib.auth.models import User

    admin, created = User.objects.get_or_create('admin')
    db = dbms.get(admin)
    db.get_tables()

    Here is an output:
    *StructuredException: Invalid method name: 'get_tables' (code
    THRIFTAPPLICATION): None*
  • Abraham Elmahrek at Jun 13, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    You'll need that hive-site.xml file. Hue uses those files to communicate
    with hive.

    And I'm trying this code from hue shell (with preconfigured
    beeswax_server_host and beeswax_meta_server_host) :

    from beeswax.server import dbms
    from django.contrib.auth.models import User

    admin, created = User.objects.get_or_create('admin')
    db = dbms.get(admin)
    db.get_tables()

    Here is an output:
    *StructuredException: Invalid method name: 'get_tables' (code
    THRIFTAPPLICATION): None*
  • Abraham Elmahrek at Jun 13, 2013 at 7:43 pm
    Sorry... to be more explicit. You'll need that hive-site.xml file on the
    same node as the Hue server.

    You'll need that hive-site.xml file. Hue uses those files to communicate
    with hive.

    And I'm trying this code from hue shell (with preconfigured
    beeswax_server_host and beeswax_meta_server_host) :

    from beeswax.server import dbms
    from django.contrib.auth.models import User

    admin, created = User.objects.get_or_create('admin')
    db = dbms.get(admin)
    db.get_tables()

    Here is an output:
    *StructuredException: Invalid method name: 'get_tables' (code
    THRIFTAPPLICATION): None*
  • Nmakhotkin at Jun 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm
    Hive is not installed on Hue server node (and there is no hive-site.xml,
    this is separate machine and hadoop also is not installed), thats why I use
    SDK for run and configure this hue server. Could I connect to HiveServer
    (or Beeswax server) remotely and execute quieries using Hue?

    I have hive-site.xml only on node in the hadoop cluster.

    On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Abraham Elmahrek <a...@cloudera.com<javascript:>
    You'll need that hive-site.xml file. Hue uses those files to communicate
    with hive.

    And I'm trying this code from hue shell (with preconfigured
    beeswax_server_host and beeswax_meta_server_host) :

    from beeswax.server import dbms
    from django.contrib.auth.models import User

    admin, created = User.objects.get_or_create('admin')
    db = dbms.get(admin)
    db.get_tables()

    Here is an output:
    *StructuredException: Invalid method name: 'get_tables' (code
    THRIFTAPPLICATION): None*
  • Abraham Elmahrek at Jun 13, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    Nikolay,

    Hue actually reads that file on the local filesystem. It needs to be there.

    -Abe

    ------------------------------**----------------------

    ------------------------------**------------------------

    Here is an output:
    *StructuredException: Invalid method name: 'get_tables' (code
    THRIFTAPPLICATION): None*
  • Nmakhotkin at Jun 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm
    Well, I put hive-site.xml in /etc/hive/conf on my hue-server node.
    Sorry, I didn't understand that hue sdk really reads hive-site.xml on my
    local filesystem
[...]

  • Abraham Elmahrek at Jun 13, 2013 at 8:36 pm
    Is it working for you now?

    ------------------------------****----------------------

    ------------------------------****------------------------

    Here is an output:
    *StructuredException: Invalid method name: 'get_tables' (code
    THRIFTAPPLICATION): None*
  • Nmakhotkin at Jun 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    Yes, It is working now. Thank you!
[...]

  • Romain Rigaux at Jun 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm
    Awesome!

    And we are planning on decoupling Hue from Hive in Hue 3!

    Romain

    ------------------------------******----------------------

    ------------------------------******------------------------

    Here is an output:
    *StructuredException: Invalid method name: 'get_tables' (code
    THRIFTAPPLICATION): None*
  • Nikolay Makhotkin at Jun 14, 2013 at 8:44 am
    It's great!

    --
    Best Regards,
    Nikolay Makhotkin,