So I am trying to create a table from a file that I have previously
uploaded into HDFS. I am following this demo
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/04/demo-analyzing-data-with-hue-and-hive/
The file that I am trying to make a table out of is a CSV file. I specify
that it is column delimited and the preview looks good (5 cloumns).
  However when I actually create the table, all the columns are stuffed into
first column and the rest are all NULL.

What is happening here?

Search Discussions

  • Minnaaralex at Jun 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    OK I converted it to a txt file using Tab delimiters and it seemed to solve
    the problem. I guess it didn't like csv's....
    So I am trying to create a table from a file that I have previously
    uploaded into HDFS. I am following this demo

    http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/04/demo-analyzing-data-with-hue-and-hive/
    The file that I am trying to make a table out of is a CSV file. I specify
    that it is column delimited and the preview looks good (5 cloumns).
    However when I actually create the table, all the columns are stuffed into
    first column and the rest are all NULL.

    What is happening here?
  • Abraham Elmahrek at Jun 3, 2013 at 8:33 pm
    Hey Alex,

    This shouldn't be a problem. Could you please provide your hue.ini config?

    -Abe

    with-hue-and-hive/<http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/04/demo-analyzing-data-with-hue-and-hive/>
    The file that I am trying to make a table out of is a CSV file. I
    specify that it is column delimited and the preview looks good (5 cloumns).
    However when I actually create the table, all the columns are stuffed into
    first column and the rest are all NULL.

    What is happening here?
  • Chandan Sharma at Jun 14, 2013 at 7:45 am
    Hi,

    You are very probably hitting https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-1303.

    There is a workaround on the ticket and a patch on the review.

    Chandan

    So I am trying to create a table from a file that I have previously
    uploaded into HDFS. I am following this demo

    http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/04/demo-analyzing-data-with-hue-and-hive/
    The file that I am trying to make a table out of is a CSV file. I specify
    that it is column delimited and the preview looks good (5 cloumns).
    However when I actually create the table, all the columns are stuffed into
    first column and the rest are all NULL.

    What is happening here?
  • Miao Zhang at Nov 18, 2013 at 10:21 pm
    Dear All,

    I am new user of HUE.

    Since my issue is somewhat similar to what the owner of this thread had in
    June, I am posting it here.

    What I installed: Virtualization software: VMware Player
    Virtual Machine: The Cloudera Quick Start
    Guest O/S: CentOS 6.2
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64
    Kernel-Headers

    Then in metastore manager, I tried to create a new table by uploading a
    supposedly clean/right csv file from the *url*<http://www.calvin.edu/~stob/data/counties.csv>
    .

    In the preview with the comma delimiter selection, everything seems fine so
    I clicked "next" button to create the table.

    However, when I browsed the created new table, NO sample file is visible.
    When I checked the log, it read "13/11/18 14:17:04 WARN conf.HiveConf:
    DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any
    effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you
    are connecting to a remote metastore." for each line.

    What did go wrong? This happened when I tried with a csv that is not valid
    so I switched to a 'valid' one, but the problem persists. Besides, for the
    invalid one, I tried to transform the csv into tab delimited as the owner
    of this thread did, it did NOT work either.

    Thank you so much!

    On Friday, June 14, 2013 3:45:28 AM UTC-4, chandan...@mpowerglobal.com