  • Corgone at Dec 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm
    Appreciate the help, but I think my overall issue is a lack of
    understanding regarding the installation/running of Hive. I installed CDH
    via the CM installation process which has me a bit confused when compared
    to the Hive install process outline in the CDH install documentation. I
    suspect, I just don't have the service running at all. I originally ran
    into this issue when using Derby (out of the box install), but have since
    installed mySQL and I'm now trying to understand that installation process
    in regards to hiveServer/hiveServer2... etc. I'm just not clear on the
    integration of Hive in the CM install and the specific hive-site.xml files
    and/or CM configuration menus to make it go or where the two cross (or
    shouldn't cross).

    Chris
    Ok - I have mySQL set up, I've created the Hive Metastore database and
    successfully connected to it with the hive command (as hdfs user). I
    created a table, and saw that it showed up in the metastore db. Still no
    love from Beeswax/Hue, but I'm chipping away it.
    Appreciate the help, but I think my overall issue is a lack of
    understanding regarding the installation/running of Hive. I installed CDH
    via the CM installation process which has me a bit confused when compared
    to the Hive install process outline in the CDH install documentation. I
    suspect, I just don't have the service running at all. I originally ran
    into this issue when using Derby (out of the box install), but have since
    installed mySQL and I'm now trying to understand that installation process
    in regards to hiveServer/hiveServer2... etc. I'm just not clear on the
    integration of Hive in the CM install and the specific hive-site.xml files
    and/or CM configuration menus to make it go or where the two cross (or
    shouldn't cross).

    Chris
    Okay - so now, after bringing up the metastore in mySQL, changing some
    parameters in Beeswax I'm getting the "time out" error

    Exception communicating with Hive Metastore Server at localhost:8003: timed
    out

    progress.
[...]

  • Abraham Elmahrek at Dec 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm
    Is the metastore on the same server?

    It sounds like the metastore could be having trouble communicating with
    MySQL. Could you please provide your configuration?

    -Abe