I found a white paper on "SQL Server Analysis Services to Hive" and
configured fine. Same way I configured to Impala and tested the
connectivity fine. But I was not able to create views while using Impala
via command...

CREATE VIEW sample_08 AS
SELECT * FROM OpenQuery(IMPALA, 'SELECT * FROM demo;')

Error I am getting:
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "IMPALA" returned message
"[Cloudera][ImpalaODBC] (110) Error while executing a query in Impala:
[HY000] : Error: Error: could not match input".
Msg 7321, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sample_08, Line 2
An error occurred while preparing the query "SELECT * FROM demo;" for
execution against OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "IMPALA".

Please advise us.
Enclosed Microsoft white paper.

--

---

  • James Duong at Sep 17, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    Hi Murali,

    Can you try removing the ending quote from demo and seeing if you can
    create the view?

    CREATE VIEW sample_08 AS
    SELECT * FROM OpenQuery(IMPALA, 'SELECT * FROM demo')

    Thanks,
    James
[...]

  • Murali Dhar at Sep 18, 2013 at 8:50 pm
    I was able to create view...thank you. But I am not able to query data via
    created view. I am getting mesages 'Requested conversion is not supported'.

[...]

    For more options, visit
    https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/groups/opt_out.
    --

    ---
  • James Duong at Sep 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

    Can you describe the columns in the demo table?
    Try selecting them one-by-one using Linked Server and see if the problem is
    isolated to a specific data type.
[...]

  • Murali Dhar at Sep 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    I got it. My ODBC set up for Impala was not right. I did choose
    Authentication = no before and I did choose "user name" now. Once I chaneg
    my authentication, I am able to pull the data from Impala view.

    Thanks for your help.

[...]

  • Qwert at Sep 24, 2013 at 9:36 am
    hi Murali,

    I have a problem when select from impala based on linked server, which
    based on ODBC driver v2.5.2.1002 for Impala.
    Is this your case here too?

    If yes, I want to know whether there is a string/varchar/text column in
    your selecting table?
    Since if only int type column in table, no problem;
    but if string/varchar/text column, then error messages as below.

    OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ImpalaDW" returned message
    "Requested conversion is not supported.".
    Msg 7341, Level 16, State 2, Line 2
    Cannot get the current row value of column "[MSDASQL].sessionid" from OLE
    DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ImpalaDW".

    Thanks.

    On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM, James Duong <duong...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Chi Huynh at Dec 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    Hi qwert,

    I've got the same problem as you with ODBC driver v2.5.5 for Impala. If the
    table only contains int/smallint/tinyint type columns, the OpenQuery View
    works without issues. As soon as the table contains string type columns I
    get the same error message that you already got.

    Hopefully, this issue can be fixed in another update.