This is CentOS 5.8. I realize most people probably use the CentOS 6
packages, but there is a CentOS 5 CDH4 package so that's what I'm trying to
use. The problem is, yum can't even *uninstall* CDH3, so I haven't gotten
very far:

$ sudo yum remove hadoop-0.20
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Setting up Remove Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package hadoop-0.20.noarch 0:0.20.2+923.421-1 set to be erased
[...transcript trimmed for brevity...]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
flume is needed by (installed) flume-master-0.9.4+25.40-1.noarch
flume is needed by (installed) flume-node-0.9.4+25.40-1.noarch
Complete!
(1, [u'Please report this error in http://bugs.centos.org/yum5bug'])
$

I realize this is, to a significant extent, a yum issue and not a cloudera
issue, but I wouldn't mind some assistance. I know about flume, that it's
part of the hadoop family...I just don't know why yum is biffing or what to
do about it.

Thanks.

  • Roman Shaposhnik at Nov 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm

[...]

    You may need to manually track the dependencies and uninstall in that
    order using raw: rpm -e

    Thanks,
    Roman.

    --
  • Harsh J at Nov 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm
    Keith,

    For the stable CDH stack, CentOS5 is still fully supported. There
    should be zero worries in using it.

    Looks like we try to remove "flume" (master package) as part of
    removing "hadoop-0.20" but we fail at removing two sub-packages that
    have flume as a dependency. Perhaps there's a better way to handle
    this at the yum level itself? I'm thinking its unlikely though.
    (Roman/others?)

    Try a "yum remove flume-master flume-node hadoop-0.20
    hadoop-zookeeper" (I added zookeeper cause thats known to be skipped
    in the removal steps by many as well.) perhaps.
[...]

    Harsh J

    --
  • Keith Wiley at Nov 7, 2012 at 7:42 pm
    That appears to have worked. Now to see if I can get CDH4 installed. I

    ...uh oh...I'm looking over the Impala notes and it looks like CDH4 isn't
    sufficient. I'll have to move from CentOS5 to CentOS6 won't I?
    Uuuuuuuuugh.

    Okay, anyway, it'll be nice to get yarn up and running. I'm not sure if
    overhauling the entire OS is going to be viable at this time. Rats, Impala
    looks like fun!

    Cheers!
[...]

  • Harsh J at Nov 7, 2012 at 8:10 pm
    Hey Keith,

    For Impala, CentOS5 and other OSes support should come very soon - as
    part of the first beta drop of Impala, only CentOS6/RHEL6 was tested
    and provided. You could wait if you do not want to go about upgrading
    the OSes.

    Sorry on the unavailability at the moment! We'll keep you notified on
    its availability.
[...]

  • Keith Wiley at Nov 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm
    Oh, that might be easier for me. The webinar yesterday got me jazzed about
    it.

    Okay, thanks!

groupcdh-user @
categorieshadoop