I have a CentOS 7 server that I want to use as an audio source for our
hold music. It does not have a GUI installed, so I am looking for a
program with a command line interface that will let me play a folder
full of mp3 files on a continuous loop.

MOC seems to do what I want, but I can't find a build for CentOS 7. Is
there another program that I can use for this?

Thanks.

--
Bowie

Search Discussions

  • Kirk Bocek at May 22, 2015 at 6:52 pm

    I have a CentOS 7 server that I want to use as an audio source for our
    hold music. It does not have a GUI installed, so I am looking for a
    program with a command line interface that will let me play a folder
    full of mp3 files on a continuous loop.

    MOC seems to do what I want, but I can't find a build for CentOS 7. Is
    there another program that I can use for this?

    Thanks.

    This something I used years ago:

    http://mpg321.sourceforge.net/

    Don't know if it works on CentOS 7 anymore.
  • Richard at May 22, 2015 at 7:01 pm

    On May 22, 2015 11:46:23 AM PDT, Bowie Bailey
    I have a CentOS 7 server that I want to use as an audio source
    for our hold music. It does not have a GUI installed, so I am
    looking for a program with a command line interface that will
    let me play a folder full of mp3 files on a continuous loop.

    MOC seems to do what I want, but I can't find a build for CentOS
    7. Is there another program that I can use for this?

    Thanks.
    This something I used years ago:

    http://mpg321.sourceforge.net/

    Don't know if it works on CentOS 7 anymore.
    I think you can do that with mplayer, but you may need to build a
    playlist first in order to play more than one file. It just worked
    fine, in commandline, playing one specific file. I didn't try to
    figure out commandline playlist building.

    The nux repository, mentioned at the top of this centos wiki page,
    has mplayer (and a bunch of other audio-related things).

      <http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS7>
  • Bowie Bailey at May 22, 2015 at 7:10 pm

[...]

    mplayer is pulling in 83 dependencies! I think I'll look for something
    a bit more self-contained.

    --
    Bowie
  • Gordon Messmer at May 22, 2015 at 7:29 pm

    mplayer is pulling in 83 dependencies! I think I'll look for something
    a bit more self-contained.

    I don't understand that reaction to packaging. mplayer uses a variety
    of libraries to support a large variety of media types. It doesn't
    include servers or SUID binaries, so it doesn't carry a significant
    security risk, and it doesn't consume much disk space. It doesn't make
    any more sense that complaining about the number of files in a package.
    (NOTE: "filesystem" contains 15000+ files! DON'T REMOVE IT!)

    If you want to support mp3 only, then try mpg123 or madplay
    http://www.mpg123.de/index.shtml
    http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/
  • Bowie Bailey at May 22, 2015 at 8:20 pm

    mplayer is pulling in 83 dependencies! I think I'll look for something
    a bit more self-contained.
    I don't understand that reaction to packaging. mplayer uses a variety
    of libraries to support a large variety of media types. It doesn't
    include servers or SUID binaries, so it doesn't carry a significant
    security risk, and it doesn't consume much disk space. It doesn't
    make any more sense that complaining about the number of files in a
    package. (NOTE: "filesystem" contains 15000+ files! DON'T REMOVE IT!)

    If you want to support mp3 only, then try mpg123 or madplay
    http://www.mpg123.de/index.shtml
    http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/

    mpg123 installed from the nux repo and runs, but I'm not getting any
    audio. It looks like I may be missing drivers or something. When I run
    mpg123 in verbose mode, I get this:

    Audio driver: alsa
    Audio device: <none>

    Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

    --
    Bowie
  • Frank Cox at May 22, 2015 at 9:01 pm

    Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

    What is your audio device? Are you sure it's supported?

    (The lshw command will tell you what hardware you have.)

  • Bowie Bailey at May 27, 2015 at 8:22 pm

    Any suggestions as to where to go from here?
    What is your audio device? Are you sure it's supported?

    (The lshw command will tell you what hardware you have.)

    Supported by what? OS, or mpg123?

    I don't have the lshw command. However, I did find this:

    /proc/asound/cards:
       0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                            HDA Intel at 0xfc1a0000 irq 42

    /proc/asound/Intel/pcm0p/info:
    card: 0
    device: 0
    subdevice: 0
    stream: PLAYBACK
    id: ALC888 Analog
    name: ALC888 Analog
    subname: subdevice #0
    class: 0
    subclass: 0
    subdevices_count: 1
    subdevices_avail: 1

    --
    Bowie
  • Mark Roth at May 27, 2015 at 8:30 pm

    Bowie Bailey wrote:
    Any suggestions as to where to go from here?
    What is your audio device? Are you sure it's supported?

    (The lshw command will tell you what hardware you have.)
    Supported by what? OS, or mpg123?

    I don't have the lshw command. However, I did find this:

    yum -y install lshw. It's nice. Slower to start than dmidecode, but much
    easier to read. And you can tell it to give you just some info, such as
    lshw -c storage

           mark
    <snip>
  • Bowie Bailey at May 27, 2015 at 9:00 pm

    Any suggestions as to where to go from here?
    What is your audio device? Are you sure it's supported?

    (The lshw command will tell you what hardware you have.)
    Supported by what? OS, or mpg123?

    I don't have the lshw command. However, I did find this:
    yum -y install lshw. It's nice. Slower to start than dmidecode, but much
    easier to read. And you can tell it to give you just some info, such as
    lshw -c storage

    That makes sense. I'm doing too many things at once right now...it
    didn't even occur to me to try to install it from yum.

    Here's what I get.

              *-multimedia
                   product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
                   vendor: Intel Corporation
                   physical id: 1b
                   bus info: pci at 0000:00:1b.0
                   version: 02
                   width: 64 bits
                   clock: 33MHz
                   capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
                   configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
                   resources: irq:42 memory:fc1a0000-fc1a3fff

    --
    Bowie
  • G at May 23, 2015 at 12:07 am

    I have a CentOS 7 server that I want to use as an audio source for our
    hold music. It does not have a GUI installed, so I am looking for a
    program with a command line interface that will let me play a folder
    full of mp3 files on a continuous loop.

    MOC seems to do what I want, but I can't find a build for CentOS 7.
    Is there another program that I can use for this?

    is VLC media player available in CentOS 7?

    it will play random order and loop. reads thru sub directories.

    but, like MOC [Music On Console], there are a few deps.

    vlc was recommended by a poster to a thread i started because i was
    having some webcam problems.

    it cured problems and i have enjoyed using it.

    i pulled these vlc files from nux.ro

      ]$ yum provides vlc*
      <snip>
      vlc-core-2.0.8-2.el6.nux.x86_64 : VLC media player core
      Repo : installed
      Matched from:
      Other : vlc-core(x86-64)
      Other : vlc-nox

      vlc-2.0.8-2.el6.nux.x86_64 : The cross-platform open-source multimedia
                                 : framework, player and server
      Repo : installed
      Matched from:
      Other : vlc(x86-64)
      Other : vlc-xorg(x86-64)

      vlc-plugin-jack-2.0.8-2.el6.nux.x86_64 : JACK audio plugin for VLC
      Repo : installed
      Matched from:
      Other : vlc-plugin-jack(x86-64)

      vlc-extras-2.0.8-2.el6.nux.x86_64 : VLC media player with extras
       modules
      Repo : installed
      Matched from:
      Other : vlc-extras(x86-64)

    i do not know what they deps are, but i do not recall it being
    a large amount, maybe 10?

    --

    peace out.

    If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
      ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

    CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

    tc,hago.

    .