Hey,

We are blocked on a bug fixed by RHEL in
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2012-0362.html. Specifically, the splice
code in sendfile() incorrectly updating the offset position on the write
side, Red Hat BZ#771868.

I have not been able to figure out if this bugfix is included in any CentOS
releases. If you are better at reading release notes than me, could you
please help me out and let me know if there's a CentOS release that
includes this bugfix?

Thanks,
Jeff

Search Discussions

  • Ned Slider at Dec 1, 2014 at 8:48 pm

    We are blocked on a bug fixed by RHEL in
    https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2012-0362.html. Specifically, the splice
    code in sendfile() incorrectly updating the offset position on the write
    side, Red Hat BZ#771868.

    I have not been able to figure out if this bugfix is included in any CentOS
    releases. If you are better at reading release notes than me, could you
    please help me out and let me know if there's a CentOS release that
    includes this bugfix?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Hi Jeff,

    It looks like it's fixed in the current kernel.

    Hint: try grepping the package changelog:

    $ rpm -q --changelog kernel-2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64 | grep sendfile
    - [fs] Fix sendfile write-side file position (Steven Whitehouse) [770023]
    - [fs] sendfile(): check f_op.splice_write() rather than f_op.sendpage()
    (Lukas Czerner) [689426]

    Those entries seem to match the bug description in the errata you list
    so I'd guess it's fixed.
  • Ned Slider at Dec 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm

[...]

    Further googling finds that it was fixed in the 6.2 kernel release, as
    documented in the Technical Notes for 6.2:

    https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/6.2_Technical_Notes/kernel.html

    ^^ Search for "sendfile" and you will find it.

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedDec 1, '14 at 8:33p
activeDec 1, '14 at 8:56p
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Ned Slider: 2 posts Jeff Hammerbacher: 1 post