I have been tied up with other work and Holidays. Now back to some
server work that is long overdue. I lost an old server yesterday so it
is crunch time.

I believe my new platform is suppose to be an x86_64. The order form
says 64 bit.

I booted Centos 6.3 i386 liveCD to check the system out before an install.

uname -i

reports i386

dmidecode -t processor

reports Characteristics of 64 bit capable. The processor is an AMD
duo-core Opteron.

I thought that in a prior thread I found that booting with an i386 live
CD and using uname would confirm the processor type. It seems not.

I am going to go with the various evidence and start a x86_64 install,
but what is with uname?

thanks

Search Discussions

  • Robert Moskowitz at Apr 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm