Greetings,

A malfunctioning disk this past week accelerated a lingering decision to
move to CentOS 6.x from CentOS 5.x.

Most of our content is functioning and being presented as it should be.

However, there appear to be php-related issues.

Basic squirrelmail (a php-dependent package) works correctly.

However, drupal, and other php-dependent parts that call postgresql and
mysql databases of our site are not being presented.

Apache's log files show a 503 (for postgresql) and 500 (for mysql) errors

I'm troubleshooting this through obvious channels (looking at logfiles,
searching google, sdiff'ing configuration files).

However, if someone has suggestions or answers, please do speak up!

Much thanks,

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com

Search Discussions

  • Johnny Hughes at Mar 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm

    A malfunctioning disk this past week accelerated a lingering decision to
    move to CentOS 6.x from CentOS 5.x.

    Most of our content is functioning and being presented as it should be.

    However, there appear to be php-related issues.

    Basic squirrelmail (a php-dependent package) works correctly.

    However, drupal, and other php-dependent parts that call postgresql and
    mysql databases of our site are not being presented.

    Apache's log files show a 503 (for postgresql) and 500 (for mysql) errors

    I'm troubleshooting this through obvious channels (looking at logfiles,
    searching google, sdiff'ing configuration files).

    However, if someone has suggestions or answers, please do speak up!

    The php versions in CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 are different. You don't say
    what version you are using and what version you moved to WRT php.

    However, if you were running the default, the versions of software that
    run on CentOS-5 might have to be upgraded to run on the newer php in
    CentOS-6. (from php-5.1.6 to php-5.3.3)

    You might also need to follow the upgrade procedures when moving from
    the older version of mysql and postgresql in CentOS-5 to the newer
    versions in CentOS-6. (mysql-5.0.95 to mysql-5.1.67, postgresql-8.1.23
    to postgresql-8.4.13)

    Upgrading for major versions (ie, from CentOS-5.x to CentOS-6.x) is a
    major undertaking and data/configuration files usually have to upgraded.

    This is unlike moving between point releases within the same major
    version (ie, moving from 5.8 to 5.9 or 6.3 to 6.4). This is because
    "minor version" upgrades are designed to just work because of
    backporting and freezing ABI/API changes inside the Major version ...
    whereas changing Major versions is a major upgrade and should be planned
    and testing accordingly.

[...]

    Thank you.

    I'm basically on a stock CentOS 6 system; for clarification, here's what
    rpm returns:
    rpm -q php postgresql mysql
    php-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    postgresql-8.4.13-1.el6_3.x86_64
    mysql-5.1.67-1.el6_3.x86_64

    One correction that took place is to add .php in the Apache directive like
    this (for a mysql-enabled website); it's a virtual host:
    AddHandler server-parsed .html .php

    Now at least somethings shows, but the screen is also littered with all of
    the variable settings (sometimes typical with mysql/php
    misconfigurations).

    I know of upgrading database issues when moving to postgres 9.1; I also
    know of *major* issues when moving from postgis 1.5.x to 2.0.x

    MP
  • Max Pyziur at Mar 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm

    A malfunctioning disk this past week accelerated a lingering decision to
    move to CentOS 6.x from CentOS 5.x.

    Most of our content is functioning and being presented as it should be.

    However, there appear to be php-related issues.

    [...]

    However, if you were running the default, the versions of software that
    run on CentOS-5 might have to be upgraded to run on the newer php in
    CentOS-6. (from php-5.1.6 to php-5.3.3)

    You might also need to follow the upgrade procedures when moving from
    the older version of mysql and postgresql in CentOS-5 to the newer
    versions in CentOS-6. (mysql-5.0.95 to mysql-5.1.67, postgresql-8.1.23
    to postgresql-8.4.13)

    In both mysql and postgresql I dumped to text and restored on the new
    CentOS 6 box/server.

    For postgresql, that's the recommendation.

    So far from command line and their respective command-line monitors, the
    mysql and postgresql databases are correctly functioning.

    It's the php-enabled interfaces that are the issue for me.

    pyz at brama.com
  • Max Pyziur at Mar 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    In both mysql and postgresql I dumped to text and restored on the new
    CentOS 6 box/server.

    For postgresql, that's the recommendation.

    So far from command line and their respective command-line monitors, the
    mysql and postgresql databases are correctly functioning.

    It's the php-enabled interfaces that are the issue for me
    and what says "php -m" or "rpm -qa | grep php"?
    On CentOS 5
    php-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-cli-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-common-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-devel-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-gd-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-ldap-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-mbstring-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-mcrypt-5.1.6-15.el5.centos.1
    phpmyadmin-2.11.11.3-2.el5.rf
    php-mysql-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-pdo-5.1.6-39.el5_8
    php-pgsql-5.1.6-39.el5_8

    On CentOS 6
    php-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-cli-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-common-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-enchant-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-gd-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-IDNA_Convert-0.8.0-1.el6.noarch
    php-ldap-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-mbstring-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-mcrypt-5.3.3-1.el6.x86_64
    phpMyAdmin-3.5.7-1.el6.noarch
    php-mysql-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-pdo-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-pear-1.9.4-4.el6.noarch
    php-pgsql-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-php-gettext-1.0.11-3.el6.noarch
    php-PHPMailer-5.2.2-1.el6.noarch
    php-process-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
    php-simplepie-1.3.1-3.el6.noarch
    php-xml-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64

    Diffing php -m results:
    sdiff -s phpM-CentOS6.txt phpM-CentOS5.txt
    Core <
    dom | dbase
    enchant <
    ereg <
    fileinfo <
    filter <
    json <
    mime_magic
    Phar <
    readline | pspell
    sqlite3 <
    xmlreader <
    xmlwriter <
    xsl <
    zip <

    are the extensions installed/loaded?

    Please clarify; what extensions?

    MP
    pyz at brama.com
  • Max Pyziur at Mar 25, 2013 at 8:36 pm

[...]

    The problems are separated here (divide and conquer). The PHP/Mysql
    websites now function.

    The issue was a default directive in /etc/php.ini; the directive is
    short_open_tag. On CentOS 5 it is on; on CentOS 6 is off. Dropping the
    following into relevant .htaccess files:
    php_value short_open_tag 1

    fixed the problem.

    On the PostgreSQL/Drupal/PHP side: I installed four minor releases of
    Drupal (6.14 -> 6.28), creating new test sites. Each works as designed.

    So the PHP/PostgreSQL stack isn't the problem.

    Existing websites (using Drupal releases ranging from 6.14-> 6.22) are
    where the errors are occuring. One person suggested deleting cache*
    content and session* content in relevant tables. That hasn't restored
    things; but the hunch now is that it is somewhere in the data.

    fyi,

    MP
    pyz at brama.com

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedMar 24, '13 at 3:45p
activeMar 25, '13 at 8:36p
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Max Pyziur: 5 posts Johnny Hughes: 1 post