Dear Friends,

I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install centos
or scientific linux using NFS so it is not working and getting me error "unable to download kickstart file".
My kickstart file configuration is :

#platform=x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T
#versionÞVEL
# Firewall configuration
firewall --disabled
# Install OS instead of upgrade
install
# Use NFS installation media
nfs --server.112.16.33 --dir=/nfs/os/ks.cfg
# Root password
rootpw --iscrypted $1$3T0pmlXY$G/jNJD/2eWwNJhEraJIrl0
# System authorization information
auth --useshadow --passalgo=sha512
# Use graphical install
graphical
# Run the Setup Agent on first boot
firstboot --enable
# System keyboard
keyboard us
# System language
lang en_US
# SELinux configuration
selinux --disabled
# Installation logging level
logging --level=info
# Reboot after installation
reboot
# System timezone
timezone Asia/Kolkata
# Network information
network --bootproto=dhcp --device=eth0 --onboot=on
# System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
# Clear the Master Boot Record
zerombr
# Partition clearing information
clearpart --all
# Disk partitioning information
part /boot --fstype="ext4" --size 0
part swap --fstype="swap" --size@96
part / --fstype="ext4" --grow --size=1

network installation using NFS kickstart following setps i am using

- system-config-kickstart
- system-config-nfs
- /etc/init.d/nfs restart
- mkdir -p /nfs/os/
- mkdir /mnt/iso/
- mount -t iso9660 /root/Desktop/Centos-64-DVD.iso /mnt/iso/ -o loop
- cp -Rp /mnt/iso/* /nfs/os/
- vim /etc/exports/
- /nsf/os/ 10.112.0.0/8(ro,sync)
- exportfs -a
- exportfs -v
- /etc/init.d/nfs restart .
- When I boot my pc using centos and in a boot option I put "
ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg"

So it is giving my error could not find kernel image
ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg

When I put ks.cfg file in /nfs/os/ks.cfg Then it is giving me error "
Unable to download kickstart file"

I have check all configuration .
Even I search on google but not getting any good idea or solution.

Please help me .

Regards
Jitendra Jha

Search Discussions

  • Barry Brimer at Jul 10, 2012 at 4:05 am

    I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install centos
    or scientific linux using NFS so it is not working and getting me error =
    "unable to download kickstart file".
    My kickstart file configuration is : <snip>
    - When I boot my pc using centos and in a boot option I put "
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg" <snip>
    So it is giving my error could not find kernel image
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg
    I believe you are missing a : after the server IP address .. it should be
    nfs:host:/path/to/whatever

    Barry
  • Jiten jha at Jul 10, 2012 at 5:02 am
    I did nfs:host:/path/to/whatever
    I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install centos
    or scientific linux using NFS so it is not working and getting me error =
    "unable to download kickstart file".
    My kickstart file configuration is : <snip>
    - When I boot my pc using centos and in a boot option I put "
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg" <snip>
    So it is giving my error could not find kernel image
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg
    I believe you are missing a : after the server IP address .. it should be
    nfs:host:/path/to/whatever

    Barry

    Regards
    Jitendra Jha
  • James Pearson at Jul 10, 2012 at 5:11 am

    jiten jha wrote:
    Dear Friends,

    I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install centos
    or scientific linux using NFS so it is not working and getting me error > "unable to download kickstart file".
    My kickstart file configuration is :

    #platform=x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T
    #versionÞVEL
    # Firewall configuration
    firewall --disabled
    # Install OS instead of upgrade
    install
    # Use NFS installation media
    nfs --server.112.16.33 --dir=/nfs/os/ks.cfg
    The '--dir=' argument is the path to the distro directory, not the path
    to the kickstart file - i.e. it should be:

    nfs --server.112.16.33 --dir=/nfs/os
    network installation using NFS kickstart following setps i am using

    - system-config-kickstart
    - system-config-nfs
    - /etc/init.d/nfs restart
    - mkdir -p /nfs/os/
    - mkdir /mnt/iso/
    - mount -t iso9660 /root/Desktop/Centos-64-DVD.iso /mnt/iso/ -o loop
    - cp -Rp /mnt/iso/* /nfs/os/
    - vim /etc/exports/
    - /nsf/os/ 10.112.0.0/8(ro,sync)
    - exportfs -a
    - exportfs -v
    - /etc/init.d/nfs restart .
    - When I boot my pc using centos and in a boot option I put "
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg"

    So it is giving my error could not find kernel image
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg

    When I put ks.cfg file in /nfs/os/ks.cfg Then it is giving me error "
    Unable to download kickstart file"
    I don't know if the contents of your /etc/exports file above is a typo -
    but it should be "/nfs/os" not "/nsf/os"

    If your kickstart file is under /nfs/os/ on the same server, then the
    boot command line syntax should be:

    ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg

    James Pearson
  • Jiten jha at Jul 10, 2012 at 5:43 am
    It is just spelling mistake in path the original is

    "ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"

    If you have any link that help me so please send me .

    - /nsf/os/ 10.112.0.0/8(ro,sync)<http://10.112.0.0/8%28ro,sync%29>
    - exportfs -a
    - exportfs -v
    - /etc/init.d/nfs restart .
    - When I boot my pc using centos and in a boot option I put "
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg"

    So it is giving my error could not find kernel image
    ks=nfs:serverIP/nfs/ks/ks.cfg

    When I put ks.cfg file in /nfs/os/ks.cfg Then it is giving me error "
    Unable to download kickstart file"
    I don't know if the contents of your /etc/exports file above is a typo -
    but it should be "/nfs/os" not "/nsf/os"

    If your kickstart file is under /nfs/os/ on the same server, then the
    boot command line syntax should be:

    ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg

    James Pearson

    Regards
    Jitendra Jha
  • James Pearson at Jul 10, 2012 at 5:52 am

    jiten jha wrote:
    It is just spelling mistake in path the original is

    "ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"
    When you use the above in the command line, what is the error?
    If you have any link that help me so please send me .
    I guess this gives all the info you should need:

    <http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/index.html>

    Including:

    <http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html>

    James Pearson
  • Jiten jha at Jul 10, 2012 at 6:19 am
    Dear james,

    When I use centos 6.2 cd for boot after that it is ask for linux text or
    gui installation there is put this command :
    "ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"

    <
    http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/index.html
    Including:

    <
    http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-kickstart2.html
    James Pearson

    Regards
    Jitendra Jha
  • James Pearson at Jul 10, 2012 at 9:19 am

    jiten jha wrote:
    Dear james,

    When I use centos 6.2 cd for boot after that it is ask for linux text or
    gui installation there is put this command :
    "ks=nfs:10.112.16.33:/nfs/os/ks.cfg"
    What is the full boot command line you are using?

    Do you have a DHCP server set up somewhere on the subnet? - as your
    kickstart file is expecting to set up the host's network interface via DHCP

    James Pearson
  • Emmanuel Noobadmin at Jul 10, 2012 at 7:38 am

    On 7/10/12, jiten jha wrote:
    Dear Friends,

    I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install centos
    or scientific linux using NFS so it is not working and getting me error =
    "unable to download kickstart file".
    My kickstart file configuration is :
    I had a somewhat similar problem with network install although I am
    not sure if the same applies to you. In my case, I had to pass
    additional kernel parameters to start the network interface with the
    correct IP address and netmask, otherwise, it basically didn't have
    networking and so couldn't download the kickstart file.
  • Jiten jha at Jul 10, 2012 at 8:08 am
    can you send me the command i will try it.

    On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
    wrote:
    On 7/10/12, jiten jha wrote:
    Dear Friends,

    I have centos 6.2 64 bit os in my dell server. When I try to install centos
    or scientific linux using NFS so it is not working and getting me error =
    "unable to download kickstart file".
    My kickstart file configuration is :
    I had a somewhat similar problem with network install although I am
    not sure if the same applies to you. In my case, I had to pass
    additional kernel parameters to start the network interface with the
    correct IP address and netmask, otherwise, it basically didn't have
    networking and so couldn't download the kickstart file.

    Regards
    Jitendra Jha
  • Emmanuel Noobadmin at Jul 10, 2012 at 10:49 am

    On 7/10/12, jiten jha wrote:
    can you send me the command i will try it.
    If I'm not wrong, these are the relevant kernel parameters you have to
    add during grub/boot time. Of course please replace the n.n.n.n and X
    with the correct values

    ip=n.n.n.n netmask=n.n.n.n gateway=n.n.n.n dns=n.n.n.n hostname=X ksdevice=ethX
  • Jiten jha at Jul 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm
    I am not getting what are you saying can you explain me. If you did that
    so can you send me link so i will follow it.