Hello there,

I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
only in init 3 mode (tty).

From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.

yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
Same stuff if I start that command again.

A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?

wwp
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Feb 8, 2012 at 6:06 am

    I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
    latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
    only in init 3 mode (tty).

    From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
    to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.

    yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
    transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename> - ud from
    the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
    lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
    Same stuff if I start that command again.

    A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

    Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
    "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
    number). Use that number in:

    "yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
    rollback <number>"

    Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • Wwp at Feb 8, 2012 at 9:22 am
    Hello Ljubomir,

    I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
    latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
    only in init 3 mode (tty).

    From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
    to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.

    yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
    transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename> - ud from
    the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
    lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
    Same stuff if I start that command again.

    A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

    Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
    "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
    number). Use that number in:

    "yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
    rollback <number>"

    Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.
    Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
    advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).

    None of the undo or rollback commands work, mostly because of hundreds
    of "Failed to downgrade <packagename>" lines (those packagenames are
    not part of the stalled transaction, BTW).

    It seems that the problem is not simply a broken transaction today,
    `yum check` reports 399 pre-existing rpmdb problems, typically
    conflicts between duplicate old and new versions of tons of other
    packages, and I don't have a clue of when/how this has all been broken.

    And don't know how to fix.. reinstalling the system seems a bit rough?

    wwp
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Feb 8, 2012 at 11:40 am

    I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
    latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
    only in init 3 mode (tty).

    From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
[...]

    I am hesitant to further advise you, since my yum problem solving is not
    so great. Please backup any files you need/want first.

    That said, you can try
    "yum history sync"
    , and if even that does not help, think about re-installing all packages
    with
    "yum reinstall *"

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • Louis Lagendijk at Feb 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

    I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
    latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
    only in init 3 mode (tty).

    From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
    to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.

    yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
    transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename> - ud from
    the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
    lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
    Same stuff if I start that command again.

    A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

    Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
    "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
    number). Use that number in:

    "yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
    rollback <number>"

    Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.
    Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
    advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).
    You may want to try the package-cleanup command.
    package-cleanup --problems could be the first thing to try

    Louis
  • Wwp at Feb 9, 2012 at 2:26 am
    Hello Louis,

    I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
    latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
    only in init 3 mode (tty).

    From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
[...]

    Nice try, but this command reports "No Problems Found".

    wwp
  • Les Mikesell at Feb 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

    I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
    latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
    only in init 3 mode (tty).

    From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
    to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.

    yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
    transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
    the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
    lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
    Same stuff if I start that command again.

    A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

    Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
    Are you actually answering yes and letting it continue or stopping when you
    see the list of things it needs to do?

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com
  • Wwp at Feb 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm
    Hello Les,

    I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
    latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
    only in init 3 mode (tty).

    From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
    to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.

    yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
    transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
    the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
    lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
    Same stuff if I start that command again.

    A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

    Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
    Are you actually answering yes and letting it continue or stopping when you
    see the list of things it needs to do?
    I tried both :-) (first time: no, second time: yes).

    Tried also `rpm --rebuilddb`, no effect. Will try `yum history sync` or
    `yum reinstall` or.. really reinstall.

    wwp
  • Les Mikesell at Feb 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm

    yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in
    1
    transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
    the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
    lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
    Same stuff if I start that command again.

    A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

    Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
    Are you actually answering yes and letting it continue or stopping when you
    see the list of things it needs to do?
    I tried both :-) (first time: no, second time: yes).

    Tried also `rpm --rebuilddb`, no effect. Will try `yum history sync` or
    `yum reinstall` or.. really reinstall.
    Are you seeing errors from yum as it tries to complete the steps it says it
    needs to complete the transaction? Does it still show a bunch of duplicate
    packages?

    --
    Les Mikesell