I'm trying to setup email on a new server running CentOS-6.2 (x86_64),
but for some reason email is going to /var/spool/mail/
despite the fact that my .procmailrc starts
-------------------------------
DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail
MAILDIR=/home/tim/Maildir/
SHELL=/bin/sh
DROPPRIVS=yes
-------------------------------
and I have
-------------------------------
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
-------------------------------
in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc .
(I have run /etc/mail/make and restarted sendmail .)

It is as though procmail is not running,
or at least sendmail is not using it.
I have the same setup on my old CentOS-5.7 server,
and this seems to work fine.

Any enlightenment or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

  • Les Mikesell at Jan 25, 2012 at 10:57 am

    I'm trying to setup email on a new server running CentOS-6.2 (x86_64),
    but for some reason email is going to /var/spool/mail/
    despite the fact that my .procmailrc starts
    and I have [...]
    -------------------------------
    MAILER(smtp)dnl
    MAILER(procmail)dnl
    -------------------------------
    in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc .
    (I have run /etc/mail/make and restarted sendmail .)
    Let's start at the beginning. Sendmail is not the default mailer for
    6.x. Are you sure you are using it?

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com
  • Timothy Murphy at Jan 25, 2012 at 11:39 am

    Les Mikesell wrote:
    I'm trying to setup email on a new server running CentOS-6.2 (x86_64),
    but for some reason email is going to /var/spool/mail/
    despite the fact that my .procmailrc starts
    and I have [...]
    -------------------------------
    MAILER(smtp)dnl
    MAILER(procmail)dnl
    -------------------------------
    in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc .
    (I have run /etc/mail/make and restarted sendmail .)
    Let's start at the beginning. Sendmail is not the default mailer for
    6.x. Are you sure you are using it?
    Thanks for your response.
    Sendmail is certainly running:
    -------------------------------
    [tim at grover ~]$ ps aux | grep mail
    tim 1984 0.0 0.0 103300 812 pts/1 S+ 16:16 0:00 grep mail
    root 31117 0.0 0.0 90836 2608 ? Ss 02:46 0:01 sendmail:
    accepting connections
    smmsp 31126 0.0 0.0 76048 2012 ? Ss 02:46 0:00 sendmail:
    Queue runner at 01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
    [tim at grover ~]$
    -------------------------------
    Also it appears from /var/log/maillog that spamassassin is vetting mail,
    which seems to suggest that procmail is being used.

    I should have said that selinux is running in permissive mode.

    One possible mistake I made was to copy ~/Maildir on my old server
    to ~/Maildir on the new server.
    I notice that this leaves the name of the old server helen
    on the files in the new Maildir,
    eg 1326686655.13860_1.helen.gayleard.com:2,S
    in the new ~/Maildir/cur .
    I wonder if I should have copied them in some other way?

    But I don't see how this would affect where the mail is going?
    I guess I need to trace in some way what procmail is doing.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
  • Bart Schaefer at Jan 25, 2012 at 12:16 pm

    I'm trying to setup email on a new server running CentOS-6.2 (x86_64),
    but for some reason email is going to /var/spool/mail/
    despite the fact that my .procmailrc starts
    -------------------------------
    DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail
    MAILDIR=/home/tim/Maildir/
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    DROPPRIVS=yes
    -------------------------------
    DEFAULT sets where the mail will be delivered. MAILDIR is the current
    working directory and only affects explicit delivery rules that use
    relative pathnames for maiboxes. The use of "MAILDIR" in procmail predates
    DJB's choice of "maildir" as the name of a mailbox format and is not
    related. This has caused a lot of confusion over the years ...

    You probably want:

    ORGMAIL=/var/spool/mail
    MAILDIR=/home/tim/Maildir
    DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/
  • Timothy Murphy at Jan 25, 2012 at 6:48 pm

    Bart Schaefer wrote:

[...]

    Thanks very much; you have solved my problem.

    I can't think how I overlooked that.
    I was comparing the two .procmailrc's, on the old server and the new,
    and was convinced that they were the same.
    But now I see
    -------------------------------
    [tim at blanche tmp]$ diff .procmailrc procmailrc
    5,6c5,6
    < MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
    < DEFAULT=/home/tim/Maildir/
    ---