Folks

Is there a way in CENTOS6 to define and turn on wireless from the
command line. My environment is as follows:

I'm trying to build a laptop for travel, and have KVM-guests for both
Linux Gui and Windows, using internal NAT networking. The underlying
host machine doesn't really need to be much more than a NAT provider,
and the usual command-line utilities.

When I arrive at a new location, and have the network ID and password
in hand, I don't mind executing some kind of script (on the host) to
create the connection. But when I return to that network weeks
later, it should be very easy to complete the connection. This needs
to be done in the host machine, not in the clients.

So far, I've figured out the following:

I issued the following
iwconfig wlan0 up

(Manually I issued
iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID
and identified the right network
)

I then issued
wpa_passphrase {ename} "{pass-phrase}" >>
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

where {ename} is the name of the network, case sensitive
and {pass-phrase} is the same as I would enter in the GUI interface,
if I wanted to use it.

What more is needed? I really want to avoid GUI interfaces if possible.

Thanks
David Kurn

Search Discussions

  • Nicolas Thierry-Mieg at Jan 24, 2012 at 3:02 am

    david wrote:
    Folks

    Is there a way in CENTOS6 to define and turn on wireless from the
    command line. <snip>
    What more is needed? I really want to avoid GUI interfaces if possible.
    I haven't tried it yet, but in C6 networkManager has a CLI. Maybe you
    should check it out.
  • John R Pierce at Jan 24, 2012 at 3:11 am