I've been running dovecot on a CentOS-5.7 server.
Now I'm moving over to another server running CentOS-6.2.
I thought I was running dovecot on the new server,
but in fact there was an error during the setup,
with the result that incoming mail finished up in /var/spool/mail/
rather than in ~/Maildir , where I wanted it to go.

Now I'm wondering if there is some way
that I can re-direct the mail in /var/spool/mail/<mymbox>
so that it goes through the system as though it were just arriving?
I mean, so that it gets distributed into the correct folders
under ~/Maildir , as specified in .procmailrc .

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

  • Gordon Messmer at Jan 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm

    I've been running dovecot on a CentOS-5.7 server.
    Now I'm moving over to another server running CentOS-6.2.
    I thought I was running dovecot on the new server,
    but in fact there was an error during the setup,
    with the result that incoming mail finished up in/var/spool/mail/
    rather than in ~/Maildir , where I wanted it to go.
    Dovecot isn't your MTA. You also need to duplicate your
    sendmail/postfix service on the new host.
  • Timothy Murphy at Jan 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

    Gordon Messmer wrote:

    I've been running dovecot on a CentOS-5.7 server.
    Now I'm moving over to another server running CentOS-6.2.
    I thought I was running dovecot on the new server,
    but in fact there was an error during the setup,
    with the result that incoming mail finished up in/var/spool/mail/
    rather than in ~/Maildir , where I wanted it to go.
    Dovecot isn't your MTA. You also need to duplicate your
    sendmail/postfix service on the new host.
    OK, I assume there was something wrong with my sendmail/procmail setup,
    so that all mail went to /var/spool/mail/~ .

    The fact remains that I want to filter this email as I would
    if it were arriving from outside.

    I installed mutt on the new server,
    and found that 95% of the messages in /var/spool/mail
    were basically locally sent error messages.

    But about 40 messages remain.

    To repeat my original query:
    ----------------------------------
    Now I'm wondering if there is some way
    that I can re-direct the mail in /var/spool/mail/<mymbox>
    so that it goes through the system as though it were just arriving?
    I mean, so that it gets distributed into the correct folders
    under ~/Maildir , as specified in .procmailrc .

    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    ----------------------------------

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
  • Les Mikesell at Jan 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

    OK, I assume there was something wrong with my sendmail/procmail setup,
    so that all mail went to /var/spool/mail/~ .

    The fact remains that I want to filter this email as I would
    if it were arriving from outside.

    I installed mutt on the new server,
    and found that 95% of the messages in /var/spool/mail
    were basically locally sent error messages.

    But about 40 messages remain.

    To repeat my original query:
    ----------------------------------
    Now I'm wondering if there is some way
    that I can re-direct the mail in /var/spool/mail/<mymbox>
    so that it goes through the system as though it were just arriving?
    I mean, so that it gets distributed into the correct folders
    under ~/Maildir , as specified in .procmailrc .

    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Any imap client can move mail between folders, whether local or on
    different hosts/accounts. Connect with one, move the existing
    messages somewhere else (a local client folder if you don't have
    another imap account where you can make a folder to park them), then
    reconfigure your procmail and dovecot to use maildir format, and move
    them back. With a GUI mail agent this is normally a select/drag/drop
    operation. Not sure how/if you can do it in mutt.

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com
  • Gordon Messmer at Jan 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

    that I can re-direct the mail in/var/spool/mail/<mymbox>
    so that it goes through the system as though it were just arriving?
    I mean, so that it gets distributed into the correct folders
    under ~/Maildir , as specified in .procmailrc .
    Ah, yes. I apologize for not reading that more comprehensively.

    You want "formail", a part of the procmail package. I think something
    like this:

    su <user> -c "formail -s procmail" < /var/spool/mail/<user>
  • Craig White at Jan 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

    I've been running dovecot on a CentOS-5.7 server.
    Now I'm moving over to another server running CentOS-6.2.
    I thought I was running dovecot on the new server,
    but in fact there was an error during the setup,
    with the result that incoming mail finished up in /var/spool/mail/
    rather than in ~/Maildir , where I wanted it to go.

    Now I'm wondering if there is some way
    that I can re-direct the mail in /var/spool/mail/<mymbox>
    so that it goes through the system as though it were just arriving?
    I mean, so that it gets distributed into the correct folders
    under ~/Maildir , as specified in .procmailrc .

    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    ----
    easiest way to handle is to copy the files to your client computer, open them with your normal mail client and move them into folders (assuming your ~/Maildir is IMAP). If there is only 1 or 2 users, this is much easier.

    Craig

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJan 23, '12 at 8:25p