I used Hiren Boot CD (Some tool on it) to create 8 partitions for
Windows XP and CentOS 6.

Now, CentOS6 Disk Utility reports for first partition:

"Warning: The partition is misaligned by 512 bytes. This may result in
very poor performances. Repartitioning is suggested.",

and similar warnings almost all other partitions.

Since I already have both Windows (NTFS) and CentOS 6 installed, I was
wondering is there any easy way of re-alligning them, maybe via parted?

Can someone write short to-the-point howto for repartitioning ext4
partitions (/boot especially)? NTFS partitions I can ghost without a
problem and resize them when I returnin it on the HDD. It would be nice
to experiment, but I am out of time.

I did fdisk -l /dev/sda > file and I can do dd to image file, but how
about resizing/repartitioning?

I read somewhere that it is good to leave 1MB free before first
partition, so it can be aligned?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)
PL Computers
Serbia, Europe

trusty Spiderman...

  • Patrick Lists at Jan 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm

[...]

    Here's how my partitions look like on a box with F16. Afaik the anaconda
    in F16 properly aligns partitions. Note the initial start at 2048.

    $ sudo fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0003778c

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 411647 204800 fd Linux raid
    autodetect
    /dev/sda2 411648 3890251953 1944920153 fd Linux raid
    autodetect
    /dev/sda3 3890251954 3907029167 8388607 fd Linux raid
    autodetect

    Maybe you could get an F16 CD/DVD and create the partitions with it?

    Regards,
    Patrick

groupcentos @
categoriescentos