Back in the Fedora docs I found on a google, it mentions that in FC6, the
preferred tool for updates was the "new" yum-updatesd. Anyone know: a)
what theological reason upstream had to drop it altogether, and b) what's
the recommended replacement - is it yum-cron?

I hand-update some servers, and of course users' workstations, but some
system, like home directory servers and backup servers are extremely
unlikely to break with an autoupdate, so this is of immediate interest.

mark

Search Discussions

  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Dec 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

    Vreme: 12/14/2011 04:07 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us pi?e:
    Back in the Fedora docs I found on a google, it mentions that in FC6, the
    preferred tool for updates was the "new" yum-updatesd. Anyone know: a)
    what theological reason upstream had to drop it altogether, and b) what's
    the recommended replacement - is it yum-cron?

    I hand-update some servers, and of course users' workstations, but some
    system, like home directory servers and backup servers are extremely
    unlikely to break with an autoupdate, so this is of immediate interest.

    mark

    There is the whole thread on the RepoForge mailing list with so caled
    solutions:

    http://lists.repoforge.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/022592.html

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • Mark Roth at Dec 14, 2011 at 11:58 am

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
    Vreme: 12/14/2011 04:07 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us pi?e:
    Back in the Fedora docs I found on a google, it mentions that in FC6,
    the preferred tool for updates was the "new" yum-updatesd. Anyone know:
    a) what theological reason upstream had to drop it altogether, and b)
    what's the recommended replacement - is it yum-cron?

    I hand-update some servers, and of course users' workstations, but some
    system, like home directory servers and backup servers are extremely
    unlikely to break with an autoupdate, so this is of immediate interest.
    There is the whole thread on the RepoForge mailing list with so caled
    solutions:

    http://lists.repoforge.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/022592.html
    Oy, as they say, vey.

    And I worked on Spacewalk in early '09. AAARRRRGHGHGHGHHGHGHHHH!!!! It
    went from .3 to .4 while I was trying to implement it, and I think it hit
    .5 as I left that contract. It was a nightmare to install and configure; I
    had to tune the free Oracle version to use almost all available memory (it
    had a max of 1G for the free version), and on, and on.

    Sounds as though I might want to roll out something like
    5 1 * * * yum -y update

    mark
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Dec 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm

    Vreme: 12/14/2011 05:58 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us pi?e:
[...]

    Someone offered to recompiled it. I would if I had time. Maybe if
    nothing shows up in next few weeks..

    But then again those needing automatic updates like to keep their
    systems third-party free...

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • John Hodrien at Dec 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

    And I worked on Spacewalk in early '09. AAARRRRGHGHGHGHHGHGHHHH!!!! It
    went from .3 to .4 while I was trying to implement it, and I think it hit
    .5 as I left that contract. It was a nightmare to install and configure; I
    had to tune the free Oracle version to use almost all available memory (it
    had a max of 1G for the free version), and on, and on.
    It wasn't *that* bad... It is however overkill for a lot of situations.
    Sounds as though I might want to roll out something like
    5 1 * * * yum -y update
    Probably want something that spots a hung yum and kills it, as it /can/ get
    itself into a pickle and not complete.

    jh
  • Corey Henderson at Dec 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm

    And I worked on Spacewalk in early '09. AAARRRRGHGHGHGHHGHGHHHH!!!! It
    went from .3 to .4 while I was trying to implement it, and I think it hit
    .5 as I left that contract. It was a nightmare to install and configure; I
    had to tune the free Oracle version to use almost all available memory (it
    had a max of 1G for the free version), and on, and on.
    It wasn't *that* bad... It is however overkill for a lot of situations.
    Sounds as though I might want to roll out something like
    5 1 * * * yum -y update
    Probably want something that spots a hung yum and kills it, as it /can/ get
    itself into a pickle and not complete.

    jh
    I've used the scripts at this URL with satisfying results:

    http://wiki.centos.org/YumCheckOrInstallUpdates

    --
    Corey Henderson
    http://cormander.com/