Hi All,
I am trying to print from a CentOS 5.3 server to a windows LPD
service. After enabling the LPD service on Windows and creating a LPR
port to a particular printer when I execute the following command on
CentOS server I do not come out.
lpr -H winprint:515 -P printer1 file.txt

The above command does not exit. Do I need to configure anything on
the server to be able to use lpr as a client ?
Ultimately I want to use the above command to print to various
printers based on different parameters.

On a different note when I execute the same command on Fedora 14 I get
Unknown as the error.

Thanks
Tharun

Search Discussions

  • Mark Roth at Dec 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm

    Tharun Kumar Allu wrote:
    Hi All,
    I am trying to print from a CentOS 5.3 server to a windows LPD
    service. After enabling the LPD service on Windows and creating a LPR
    port to a particular printer when I execute the following command on
    CentOS server I do not come out.
    lpr -H winprint:515 -P printer1 file.txt

    The above command does not exit. Do I need to configure anything on
    the server to be able to use lpr as a client ?
    Ultimately I want to use the above command to print to various
    printers based on different parameters.

    On a different note when I execute the same command on Fedora 14 I get
    Unknown as the error.
    Have you checked CUPS? <http://localhost:631>

    mark
  • Tharun Kumar Allu at Dec 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm

    I am trying to print from a CentOS 5.3 server to a windows LPD
    service. After enabling the LPD service on Windows and creating a LPR
    port to a particular printer when I execute the following command on
    CentOS server I do not come out.
    lpr -H winprint:515 -P printer1 ?file.txt

    The above command does not exit. Do I need to configure anything on
    the server to be able to use lpr as a client ?
    Ultimately I want to use the above command to print to various
    printers based on different parameters.

    On a different note when I execute the same command on Fedora 14 I get
    Unknown as the error.
    Have you checked CUPS? <http://localhost:631>

    ? ? ? mark
    Yes. The whole idea I am trying to achieve is not to install any
    printers on the server (if I can avoid) but use it as a client to
    print through a windows LPD service.

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedDec 5, '11 at 4:09p
activeDec 5, '11 at 5:07p
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Tharun Kumar Allu: 2 posts Mark Roth: 1 post