requested?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell at gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • John Hodrien at Nov 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

    I have some services on Centos5 boxes that use smb authentication
    against the Windows domain as a low-maintenance way to handle most of
    our office users for things that don't need home directories (web/file
    shares, etc.). Running authconfig is all it takes to add it to PAM,
    then adding mod_auth_pam to apache makes it work with that and local
    users. This all works without any particular involvement with the
    Windows group or administrative access there.

    Is there a better way to do this on C6 that does not involve 'joining'
    the windows domain?
    You don't *have* to join it to the domain, you can use pam_krb5 without
    joining if you want. There are advantages if you do though, since a joined
    machine offering samba shares to windows users on a domain won't prompt for a
    password, as it'll use their existing kerberos ticket. Joining *is* just a
    case of a correct smb.conf/krb5.conf and "net ads join" with an account with
    sufficient privs, so isn't really much pain for servers.
    And is there a way to make samba (C5 or 6) work with Windows7 other
    than configuring every client to to send NTLM authentication when
    requested?
    On C5 I thought upgrading to samb3x was sufficient, and that C6 it should just
    work. I'm assuming that not the case?

    jh
  • Ron Young at Nov 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm
    I just installed win 7 pro @home in order to be more compatible with
    my new @work environment. I am likewise having a problem with samba
    shares. The samba shares are on a C5.7 server and were readily
    available from the same machine running XP for the last couple of
    years.

    The new w7pro install is on the same network as the previous XP
    install on that machine and in fact has the same IP address as the
    former XP os.

    Now with the fresh install of w7pro I cannot see any of the samba
    shares from the w7pro machine. All of the googled solutions I have
    found so far have not worked. I have added a couple of entries to the
    smb.conf that were suggested and restarted smb but no joy.

    Anyone have pointers that may get me going again?

    Regards,

    Ron Young
    919-621-9015
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronhyoung

    +++++++++++++++++++
    Little tiny dreams require little tiny thoughts and little tiny steps.
    Great big dreams require great big thoughts and little tiny steps.
    +++++++++++++++++++
    Kosh: The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

[...]

  • Phil Schaffner at Nov 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm

    shares. The samba shares are on a C5.7 server and were readily
    available from the same machine running XP for the last couple of
    years.

    The new w7pro install is on the same network as the previous XP
    install on that machine and in fact has the same IP address as the
    former XP os.

    Now with the fresh install of w7pro I cannot see any of the samba
    shares from the w7pro machine. All of the googled solutions I have
    found so far have not worked. I have added a couple of entries to the
    smb.conf that were suggested and restarted smb but no joy.

    Anyone have pointers that may get me going again?
    Have you replaced samba packages with samba3x packages?

    Phil
  • Phil Schaffner at Nov 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm