Dear All,

I'm trying to configure wireless card on a Dell Vostro 1540.

I had a look at this site : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom?action=show

wireless card :# /sbin/lspci | grep Broadcom
12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

I decided to follow the ELrepo instructions suggested on the site :

http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

because it would give me a clear and present rpm that I can use on different machines and that will survive kernel updates.

This all goes down without error messages.

After installing, there is a new entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules :

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x4727 (wl)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

and there is now a blacklist-Broadcom.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/:

blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist bcm43xx
blacklist ssb

So I think the driver works and the blacklist - issue that is reported on different sites is ok.

I then made an entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:

vi ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE="eth1"
#BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
HWADDR="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
ONBOOT="yes"
TYPE=Wireless

*The problem is* I'm not seeing any wireless networks.

Eth1 seems to try to get an adress via dhcp and then exits.

And it is listed in the gui as wired network...

[root at wduerloo ~]# dmesg | tail -n15
lib80211: common routines for IEEE802.11 drivers
lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
wl: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
wl 0000:12:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
wl 0000:12:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'TKIP'
eth1: Broadcom BCM4727 802.11 Hybrid Wireless Controller 5.100.82.112
eth1: no IPv6 routers present
eth1: no IPv6 routers present
eth1: no IPv6 routers present
eth1: no IPv6 routers present
eth1: no IPv6 routers present

on restarting network manager this is in /var/log/messages :

Nov 8 07:45:54 wduerloo dhclient[11719]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6 (xid=0x3c613d0e)
Nov 8 07:46:00 wduerloo dhclient[11719]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12 (xid=0x3c613d0e)
Nov 8 07:46:12 wduerloo dhclient[11719]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14 (xid=0x3c613d0e)
Nov 8 07:46:26 wduerloo dhclient[11719]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12 (xid=0x3c613d0e)
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<warn> (eth1): DHCPv4 request timed out.
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> (eth1): canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid 11719
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Timeout) started...
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Activation (eth1) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) scheduled...
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Activation (eth1) Stage 4 of 5 (IP4 Configure Timeout) complete.
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Activation (eth1) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) started...
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Activation (eth1) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) failed (no IP configuration found)
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> (eth1): device state change: 7 -> 9 (reason 5)
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Marking connection 'Auto eth1' invalid.
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<warn> Activation (eth1) failed.
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> Activation (eth1) Stage 5 of 5 (IP Configure Commit) complete.
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> (eth1): device state change: 9 -> 3 (reason 0)
Nov 8 07:46:33 wduerloo NetworkManager[11711]:<info> (eth1): deactivating device (reason: 0).

I think I need to configure something else.

I know a lot of you guys don't like NetworkManager but because it's a laptop I would like to use it.

I hope I gave enough info, any help would be greatly appreciated.

greetings, James.

Centos is here to stay, I'm sure.

P.S. I don't have an English spell checker on this machine, sorry for language mistakes :=)

Johan Vermeulen
IT-medewerker
Caw De Kempen
johan.vermeulen at cawdekempen.be
0479.82.01.41

Opensource Software is the future.

Search Discussions

  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Nov 8, 2011 at 5:59 am

    Vreme: 11/08/2011 07:59 AM, Johan Vermeulen pi?e:
    Dear All,

    I'm trying to configure wireless card on a Dell Vostro 1540.

    I had a look at this site : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom?action=show

    wireless card :# /sbin/lspci | grep Broadcom
    12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

    I decided to follow the ELrepo instructions suggested on the site :

    http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

    because it would give me a clear and present rpm that I can use on different machines and that will survive kernel updates.
    This is good choice many of us recommend as best solution.

    Question: This is CentOS 6? i386 or x86_64?
    This all goes down without error messages.
    You downloaded appropriate firmware and compiled all of it?
    After installing, there is a new entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules :

    # PCI device 0x14e4:0x4727 (wl)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

    and there is now a blacklist-Broadcom.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/:

    blacklist b43
    blacklist b43legacy
    blacklist bcm43xx
    blacklist ssb

    So I think the driver works and the blacklist - issue that is reported on different sites is ok.
    What does "iwlist" command give you?

    Have you installed all other packages needed for wireless?

    I then made an entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:

    vi ifcfg-eth1
    Change the name to ifcfg-wlan0
    DEVICE="eth1"
    Change to DEVICE="wlan0"
    #BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
    HWADDR="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf"
    NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
    ONBOOT="yes"
    TYPE=Wireless
    Add this:

    USERCTL=yes
    IPV6INIT=no

    Why is BOOTPROTO disabled?
    *The problem is* I'm not seeing any wireless networks. <snip>
    I think I need to configure something else.
    wpa-suplicant?
    I know a lot of you guys don't like NetworkManager but because it's a laptop I would like to use it.

    I hope I gave enough info, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    greetings, James.

    Centos is here to stay, I'm sure.

    P.S. I don't have an English spell checker on this machine, sorry for language mistakes :=)
    Do not worry about it, most native speaking English don't bother to
    write correctly.

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • Johan Vermeulen at Nov 8, 2011 at 6:46 am
    Hello Ljubomir,

    thanks a million for your answer. I provided some more info below.

    Vreme: 11/08/2011 07:59 AM, Johan Vermeulen pi?e:
    Dear All,

    I'm trying to configure wireless card on a Dell Vostro 1540.

    I had a look at this site : http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom?action=show

    wireless card :# /sbin/lspci | grep Broadcom
    12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

    I decided to follow the ELrepo instructions suggested on the site :

    http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

    because it would give me a clear and present rpm that I can use on different machines and that will survive kernel updates.
    This is good choice many of us recommend as best solution.
    Question: This is CentOS 6? i386 or x86_64?
    this is centos6 x86_64
    This all goes down without error messages.
    You downloaded appropriate firmware and compiled all of it?
    I think so. Exactly as on the site :

    http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

    As it all installed without errors, I thought I had everything.
    After installing, there is a new entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules :

    # PCI device 0x14e4:0x4727 (wl)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

    and there is now a blacklist-Broadcom.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/:

    blacklist b43
    blacklist b43legacy
    blacklist bcm43xx
    blacklist ssb

    So I think the driver works and the blacklist - issue that is reported on different sites is ok.
    What does "iwlist" command give you?
    # iwlist
    Usage: iwlist [interface] scanning [essid NNN] [last]
    [interface] frequency
    [interface] channel
    [interface] bitrate
    [interface] rate
    [interface] encryption
    [interface] keys
    [interface] power
    [interface] txpower
    [interface] retry
    [interface] ap
    [interface] accesspoints
    [interface] peers
    [interface] event
    [interface] auth
    [interface] wpakeys
    [interface] genie
    [interface] modulation

    that's not good, is it? :-\

    Have you installed all other packages needed for wireless?
    euh...other packages?
    I then made an entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:

    vi ifcfg-eth1
    Change the name to ifcfg-wlan0
    did that. do I have to change anything in /etc/udev/rules.d as well?

    after reboot I now see a cabeled network ( wlan0) ( disconnected) and an
    " Auto wlan0 marked as available....
    DEVICE="eth1"
    Change to DEVICE="wlan0"
    did that
    #BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
    HWADDR="94:39:e5:dc:3a:cf"
    NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
    ONBOOT="yes"
    TYPE=Wireless
    Add this:

    USERCTL=yes
    IPV6INIT=no

    Why is BOOTPROTO disabled?
    I thougt the wireless card requesting an ip adress and then dropping
    dead might be the problem. Clearly not...
    *The problem is* I'm not seeing any wireless networks. <snip>
    I think I need to configure something else.
    wpa-suplicant?
    I will look that up.
    I know a lot of you guys don't like NetworkManager but because it's a laptop I would like to use it.

    I hope I gave enough info, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    greetings, James.

    Centos is here to stay, I'm sure.

    P.S. I don't have an English spell checker on this machine, sorry for language mistakes :=)
    Do not worry about it, most native speaking English don't bother to
    write correctly.

    thanks again!

    greetings, James
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Nov 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

    Vreme: 11/08/2011 12:46 PM, Johan Vermeulen pi?e:
    What does "iwlist" command give you?
    # iwlist
    Usage: iwlist [interface] scanning [essid NNN] [last]
    [interface] frequency
    [interface] channel
    [interface] bitrate
    [interface] rate
    [interface] encryption
    [interface] keys
    [interface] power
    [interface] txpower
    [interface] retry
    [interface] ap
    [interface] accesspoints
    [interface] peers
    [interface] event
    [interface] auth
    [interface] wpakeys
    [interface] genie
    [interface] modulation

    that's not good, is it?:-\
    Sorry, run "iwlist wlan0 ap"

    Also helpfull are:

    ifconfig
    ip address

    Look in their manuals to se how to use them.
    after reboot I now see a cabeled network ( wlan0) ( disconnected) and an
    " Auto wlan0 marked as available....
    It is strange that Wireless interface is marked cabled. But I do not
    have ANY experience with Broadcom radios. All I use are Atheros radios.

    Try creating "Connect to Hidden Network" connection (or whatever the
    actual text is) in NetworkManager GUI. You must see be able to set ESSID
    at other configs. If you do not have it, then something is wrong.

    You can also try using the kmod-wl package that I compiled per elrepo
    instructions:
    http://rpms.plnet.rs/plnet-centos6-x86_64/RPMS.plnet-compiled/kmod-wl-5_100_82_38-3.el6.el6.x86_64.rpm

    Maybe this makes a difference, but notice that I never tested it.

    If I fail to help you, you will always be able to report a bug:

    http://elrepo.org/bugs/main_page.php

    ,so your problems can be investigated.

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • Ned Slider at Nov 8, 2011 at 3:12 pm

[...]

    I _think_ when one of the elrepo folks tried the latest Broadcom driver
    source a week or two ago, the driver stopped working for him. No idea if
    this was el5 or el6, but not a good sign. Apparently it's not that uncommon.

    My recommendation is that if you can find a driver version that works
    for you, hang on to it!

    I have no idea if Broadcom keep older version sources available or not.
    If they would relax their draconian redistribution policies we could do
    a half way decent job of supporting their drivers, but currently that's
    not the case.
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Nov 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm
    Vreme: 11/08/2011 09:12 PM, Ned Slider pi?e:
    I _think_ when one of the elrepo folks tried the latest Broadcom driver
    source a week or two ago, the driver stopped working for him. No idea if
    this was el5 or el6, but not a good sign. Apparently it's not that uncommon.

    My recommendation is that if you can find a driver version that works
    for you, hang on to it!

    I have no idea if Broadcom keep older version sources available or not.
    If they would relax their draconian redistribution policies we could do
    a half way decent job of supporting their drivers, but currently that's
    not the case.
    For me, best solution is to swap Broadcom for Atheros radio and forget
    about problems.

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • Milos Blazevic at Nov 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

    Ned Slider wrote:
    I _think_ when one of the elrepo folks tried the latest Broadcom driver
    source a week or two ago, the driver stopped working for him. No idea if
    this was el5 or el6, but not a good sign. Apparently it's not that uncommon.

    My recommendation is that if you can find a driver version that works
    for you, hang on to it!

    I have no idea if Broadcom keep older version sources available or not.
    If they would relax their draconian redistribution policies we could do
    a half way decent job of supporting their drivers, but currently that's
    not the case.

    Actually, that was me testing the driver (over and over again for the
    past 6 months)... Sadly, ever since Broadcom released version
    5.100.82.38 of the driver (December 2010), no solid evidence has been
    provided to prove this driver working on RHEL/CentOS 5 to this day - not
    even after the latest release (Oct 25th, 2011).

    The whole issue with the driver can be tracked at the ELRepo bug tracker:
    http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id3

    As for the original poster is concerned, the only advice I can give, is
    to download an older driver version from:

    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/b/broadcom-sta/broadcom-sta_5.60.48.36.orig.tar.gz
    or
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/b/broadcom-sta/broadcom-sta_5.10.91.9.3.orig.tar.gz

    and attempt compiling it using the Wiki manual
    http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom, since ELRepo
    .src.rpm for rebuilding the kernel independent ABI driver has been
    provided just a couple of months ago, for a driver which arguably never
    worked (for me and quite a few other people out there).
    So, following the manual step by step should get you there, Johan. Also,
    make sure you use NetworkManager instead of network service with your
    WiFi - if the driver turns out to be working, this will save you some
    time and nervs.

    --
    *Kind Regards,*
    *Milos Blazevic*

    Signature

    Cert. No: 805010564450148
  • Johan Vermeulen at Nov 9, 2011 at 12:38 am
    Dear All,

    thanks for the reactions!

    Looks like I somehow fuzzled up when compiling the driver, because with
    Ljubomir 's driver, I can now see available networks.

    I woun't be able to test if I can actualy connect until later today or
    tomorrow.

    Ljubomir, so far looks like you solved this!

    greetings, James

[...]

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedNov 8, '11 at 1:59a