I have an older quad-core AMD processor that supports hardware
virtualization on a motherboard that does not support it in the bios.

Eventually I'll swap the mobo out on this box for one that will support
hardware virtualization and use qemu-kvm. I prefer kvm because of
SELinux and sVirt that protects the host from VM breakout should a VM
become hostile.

In the meantime, I want to start work on a web project and want to use
this idle machine and CentOS 6.0 in a VM. What I prototype and learn
will eventually be moved to the production machine using kvm and sVirt.

So...I downloaded and installed Virtualbox 4.x but haven't yet had the
time to check it out.

Any tips/tricks concerning it?

Dave

Search Discussions

  • Joseph L. Casale at Nov 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm
    Any tips/tricks concerning it?
    While I am used to using esx, I am forced to use vb on my wkst at my
    new gig and can tell you there are age old bugs that have never been
    resolved with respect to snap shot children not being cleaned up properly
    and the xml config while having a nice programatic interface is a pain to
    edit manually.

    Bottom line, I don't like it at all and find it only moderately stable.

    Not a fan...

    jlc
  • Jerry Minston at Nov 2, 2011 at 6:05 am
    If you want to install Virtualbox in CentOS, it is easy. Go to this download link?http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.4/VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.4_74291_rhel6-1.i686.rpm?. and download the RPM File, after simply install it.

    I am not such a fan of Virtualbox neither but You can try installing VMware Player or buy VMware workstation, Both of them work perfectly on CentOS.?

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While I am used to using esx, I am forced to use vb on my wkst at my
    new gig and can tell you there are age old bugs that have never been
    resolved with respect to snap shot children not being cleaned up properly
    and the xml config while having a nice programatic interface is a pain to
    edit manually.

    Bottom line, I don't like it at all and find it only moderately stable.

    Not a fan...

    jlc

  • Roy Trubshaw at Nov 2, 2011 at 4:04 am
    A few things:

    - It didn't/doesn't play well with other virtual machine libraries.
    - Don't forget to install the vbox extensions if you want/need to use USB 2.0
    - Don't forget to install DKMS before pretty much anything else.

    - It _is_ worth the hassle of adding the vbox guest additions to support seamless mouse and keyboard integration
    - ... not to mention resizing the machine window
    - Here's a relatively complete description on turning VirtualBox into a service under Redhat/Centos/Fedora (http://www.kernelhardware.org/virtualbox-auto-start-vm-centos-fedora-redhat/). Though I'd replace vboxmanage with vboxheadless. [Can't be bothered to remember if either of the two apps are camelcase or not - check.]
    - Dismount the guestadditions ISO / O/S installation ISO / any other non-essential ISO _*before*_ you take a snapshot. 8-)
    - If you want the guest system to be a server you need bridged networking (it works pretty well 'out of the box' actually).
    - RTFM (really)

    It was the first VM I used (mainly because it works on hardware the doesn't support hardware virtualisation) and the only real problems I have had have been 64bit guests on 64bit hosts (both windows and unices).

    YMMV

    Toodles,
    Roy

    ________________________________

  • Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez at Nov 2, 2011 at 4:10 am
    I had problems with VBox 4 in my CentOS6, so I had to install
    VirtualBox-3.2-3.2.12_68302_rhel6-1.x86_64 and I am very very happy with it.
    VMware Server meant a lot of problems with new kernels and the patch
    any-any... so I think Virtualbox does the trick.

    El 02/11/11 09:04, Roy Trubshaw escribi?:
[...]

    Lorenzo Martinez Rodriguez

    Visit me: http://www.lorenzomartinez.es
    Mail me to: lorenzo at lorenzomartinez.es
    My blog: http://www.securitybydefault.com
    My twitter: @lawwait
    PGP Fingerprint: 97CC 2584 7A04 B2BA 00F1 76C9 0D76 83A2 9BBC BDE2
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Nov 2, 2011 at 4:55 am
    Vreme: 11/02/2011 09:10 AM, Lorenzo Mart?nez Rodr?guez pi?e:
    I had problems with VBox 4 in my CentOS6, so I had to install
    VirtualBox-3.2-3.2.12_68302_rhel6-1.x86_64 and I am very very happy with it.
    VMware Server meant a lot of problems with new kernels and the patch
    any-any... so I think Virtualbox does the trick.
    I use VBox 4.x (there is even repository for it) without problems. There
    was some initial problems with USB, but it was solved 3-4 months ago.

    Notice that you can not upgrade 4.0.x to 4.1.x. You have to uninstall
    previous minor version to install newer minor version, but all settings
    remain the same.

    On my windows Guest (banking app and sometimes for support) sometimes,
    after initial start, I have to restart guest to recognize card reader,
    but once it is up it is rock solid.

    Use VBox share folders for nice "network" file sharing.

    P.S. Please do not top post. On this list please write (in most cases)
    bellow the original text, or in between.

    --

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

    trusty Spiderman...
  • Christopher Chan at Nov 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

    Vreme: 11/02/2011 09:10 AM, Lorenzo Mart?nez Rodr?guez pi?e:
    I had problems with VBox 4 in my CentOS6, so I had to install
    VirtualBox-3.2-3.2.12_68302_rhel6-1.x86_64 and I am very very happy with it.
    VMware Server meant a lot of problems with new kernels and the patch
    any-any... so I think Virtualbox does the trick.
    I use VBox 4.x (there is even repository for it) without problems. There
    was some initial problems with USB, but it was solved 3-4 months ago.
    4.0.x was okay for me (Windows server guests) but 4.1.4 was a complete
    disaster. The guest literally moved at SNAIL pace. Removed all cores
    save one and then it moved at TURTLE pace. 4.1.x is do not touch even
    with a ten foot pole. At least with Windows guests.
  • John Hodrien at Nov 2, 2011 at 10:33 am

    4.0.x was okay for me (Windows server guests) but 4.1.4 was a complete
    disaster. The guest literally moved at SNAIL pace. Removed all cores
    save one and then it moved at TURTLE pace. 4.1.x is do not touch even
    with a ten foot pole. At least with Windows guests.
    This doesn't appear to be universally true. We've run 4.1.4 with Windows 7
    64bit on top of CentOS 6 and not seen any noticeable performance problems.
    The way you describe it makes me think it's not the sort of thing we could not
    notice if it was happening. This was Windows 7 Enterprise as opposed to a
    server OS guest.

    jh
  • Joseph L. Casale at Nov 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm

    This doesn't appear to be universally true. We've run 4.1.4 with Windows 7
    64bit on top of CentOS 6 and not seen any noticeable performance problems.
    The way you describe it makes me think it's not the sort of thing we could not
    notice if it was happening. This was Windows 7 Enterprise as opposed to a
    server OS guest.
    Same, Its obviously related to host os and hardware.
    As I sit here over lunch manually fixing another snap shot debacle in 4.1.4...
    Sigh...

    jlc
  • Christopher Chan at Nov 2, 2011 at 8:12 pm

    4.0.x was okay for me (Windows server guests) but 4.1.4 was a complete
    disaster. The guest literally moved at SNAIL pace. Removed all cores
    save one and then it moved at TURTLE pace. 4.1.x is do not touch even
    with a ten foot pole. At least with Windows guests.
    This doesn't appear to be universally true. We've run 4.1.4 with Windows 7
    64bit on top of CentOS 6 and not seen any noticeable performance problems.
    The way you describe it makes me think it's not the sort of thing we could not
    notice if it was happening. This was Windows 7 Enterprise as opposed to a
    server OS guest.
    How many cores assigned? VT-X/AMD-V enabled? Hardware?
  • John Hodrien at Nov 3, 2011 at 8:55 am

    How many cores assigned? VT-X/AMD-V enabled? Hardware?
    Typically 1, yes VT-X is enabled, Core2Duo/Core2Quad and some newer Nehalem
    based Xeons. IO-apic is enabled as Win7 64bit wouldn't boot with our image
    without it.

    jh
  • Christopher Chan at Nov 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm

    4.0.x was okay for me (Windows server guests) but 4.1.4 was a complete
    disaster. The guest literally moved at SNAIL pace. Removed all cores
    save one and then it moved at TURTLE pace. 4.1.x is do not touch even
    with a ten foot pole. At least with Windows guests.
    This doesn't appear to be universally true. We've run 4.1.4 with Windows 7
    64bit on top of CentOS 6 and not seen any noticeable performance problems.
    The way you describe it makes me think it's not the sort of thing we could not
    notice if it was happening. This was Windows 7 Enterprise as opposed to a
    server OS guest.
    Oh, was io-apic enabled too?
  • Brett Serkez at Nov 2, 2011 at 7:03 am