I have a server running CentOS 6.0. Last night I replaced the CPU and
motherboard. Old hardware: Supermicro x8sil-f + x3440. New hardware:
Supermicro x9scl+-f + E3-1230. This is a new Sandy Bridge Xeon.

Everything else remained the same, including an IBM m1015 SAS HBA.
This is just an IBM re-branded LSI 92xx-8i (9220-8i specifically I
believe), which uses the LSI SAS2008 chipset and the megaraid_sas
driver. It worked without any issue on the old motherboard/cpu.
However, with the new motherboard/cpu, the system makes it through the
BIOS POST without any issue. But about half-way through the kernel
initialization, it basically locks up. It will sit there for several
minutes, doing nothing, then start printing out error messages (I was
unable to get a screenshot or take note of the errors).

But if I take the m1015 card out, the system boots quickly and without
issue, as it always has.

I saw this post[1] on the forums, which suggested that Sandy Bridge
really needs 6.1, which, for those of us using CentOS, we can only get
sorta close to by using the continuous release. So I did a "yum
install centos-release-cr ; yum update". I let everything install
(there were no install errors or problems), and rebooted with the
m1015 in back in the system, but the problem remains.

So now I'm at a loss. Anyone have any thoughts?

[1] http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id3878&forumV

Thanks,
Matt

Search Discussions

  • Matt Garman at Oct 31, 2011 at 7:38 pm

[...]

    SuperMicro actually has a FAQ[1] on a very similar issue: same
    motherboard, but an LSI 9240 RAID card (very similar to the IBM
    M1015, same actual chipset I believe), and CentOS 5.5. But the
    described problem is the same as mine.

    Simple fix: upgrade BIOS to v1.1a or later. Works for me!

    [1] http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq830

    Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
    -Matt

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedOct 27, '11 at 10:18a