Has anyone managed to get CentOS 6 x86_64 running on a server with a Broadcom NetXtremeII BCM5709 network adaptor? If so have you seen any issues with the network freezing? On booting everything works fine then the network will just stop - can't ping anything. If we manually restart the network service it will run again for a few seconds/minutes before hanging again. We have even installed the latest bnx2 drivers (netxtreme2-6.2.23) as supplied by the server manufacturer - problem remains. Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Search Discussions

  • Steve Thompson at Oct 10, 2011 at 4:32 pm

    Has anyone managed to get CentOS 6 x86_64 running on a server with a
    Broadcom NetXtremeII BCM5709 network adaptor? If so have you seen any
    issues with the network freezing?
    I haven't tried CentOS 6 yet, but I have had this problem with CentOS 5.
    Try this in /etc/modprobe.conf:

    options bnx2 disable_msi=1

    and reboot. This is a fix on all of the systems that I have tried it on.

    Steve
  • Mark Roth at Oct 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

    Steve Thompson wrote:
    Has anyone managed to get CentOS 6 x86_64 running on a server with a
    Broadcom NetXtremeII BCM5709 network adaptor? If so have you seen any
    issues with the network freezing?
    <snip>
    I've got a BCM5761, running w/ no trouble. Don't know differences, but I
    think that's a tg3 driver.

    mark

groupcentos @
categoriescentos