This is a continuation of my previous thread:
"Broadcom Wifi Problem"

Following a post from "James A. Peltier", who said:

You can use the rpmforge version or compile it
yourself. I've used this one with success using the
details described earlier.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

I did however have to patch it with

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/5_100_82_38.patch

the driver built and installed fine. In fact, I'm using it
on my laptop as we speak.

On my CentOS 6, with BCM4311 802.11b/g. I installed:

hybrid-portsrc_x86_32-v5_100_82_38.tar.gz

With NetworkManager shut off, I see:

#lsmod | grep "b43\|ssb\|wl"
wl 2635904 0
lib80211 4858 1 wl

and I try to start with:

ifup wlan0

I put debug in the script, following into nested scripts,
and see that it ultimately fails because:

ip -o link

fails to return wlan0 . I rechecked the MAC address,
which is correct. Also ifconfig and iwconfig do
not see wlan0 .

Also, the wlan0 light on the box doesn't turn from
red to green. If, however, I reenable b43, the
light does turn green. Also, on this dual boot box,
the WinXP partition runs WLAN0 with no problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike.

Search Discussions

  • Nicolas Thierry-Mieg at Sep 12, 2011 at 10:11 am

    Michael D. Berger wrote:
    This is a continuation of my previous thread:
    "Broadcom Wifi Problem"
    I didn't follow the whole thread, but have you tried building the nosrc
    rpm provided by elrepo?
    Instructions are very clear, and it worked fine for me a few months back
    for a new laptop (can't remember the brand or model) where I was
    installing C6 x86_64.
    http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod
  • Michael D. Berger at Sep 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm