I wonder if anyone has CentOS-6 working on an HP MicroServer?
I'm having a problem with the graphics driver
for the Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.

CentOS-5.6 is working fine on this machine;
but at present I only have CentOS-6 running in text mode.

The graphics card as given by "/sbin/lspci -m" is
-------------------------------
01:05.0 "VGA compatible controller" "ATI Technologies Inc" "M880G [Mobility
Radeon HD 4200]" "Hewlett-Packard Company" "Device 1609"
-------------------------------

The Radeon related modules are
-------------------------------
[tim at grover ~]$ lsmod | grep -i radeon
radeon 798300 0
ttm 47134 1 radeon
drm_kms_helper 32113 1 radeon
drm 202185 3 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 5664 1 radeon
i2c_core 31274 5
i2c_piix4,radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
-------------------------------

Under CentOS-5.6 the Radeon related modules are
-------------------------------
[tim at grover ~]$ lsmod | grep -i radeon
radeon 148193 0
drm 115561 1 radeon
-------------------------------

Admittedly I have probably installed different packages
in the two cases.

I'm wondering if I could try the old radeon module,
and if so how?

Are there any documents that might help me
determine the problem, and hopefully solve it?

I don't see any errors listed in /var/log/messages, or in dmesg.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

  • Timothy Murphy at Sep 6, 2011 at 7:24 am

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    I wonder if anyone has CentOS-6 working on an HP MicroServer?
    I'm having a problem with the graphics driver
    for the Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.
    It seems to me that the problem may arise
    from the lack of config-system-display in CentOS-6.

    I see that under CentOS-5.6 the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    was created by config-system-display .
    The corresponding file under CentOS-6 is very short:
    --------------------------------
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection
    --------------------------------
    Is this file used at all in CentOS-6?

    According to
    <http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/rhel6/rhel_6_migration_guide/rhel_6_migration_chap-
    Migration_Guide-Package_Changes.html>
    "The system-config-display tool has been replaced
    by XRandr configuration tools"
    Unfortunately I've no idea how to use XRandR,
    and the documentation for this is not much help.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
  • Timothy Murphy at Sep 6, 2011 at 10:06 am

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    I wonder if anyone has CentOS-6 working on an HP MicroServer?
    I'm having a problem with the graphics driver
    for the Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.
    I've managed to get the machine into graphics mode,
    after following the advice in
    <http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-
    single/Installation_Guide/index.html>
    to add xdriver=vesa to the kernel line in grub.conf .

    I'm not sure if vesa is a different driver,
    or is it a mode for the radeon driver?
    It does not seem to appear as a module under lsmod ;
    the same radeon modules as before are listed.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
  • Nicolas Thierry-Mieg at Sep 6, 2011 at 10:47 am

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    I'm not sure if vesa is a different driver,
    or is it a mode for the radeon driver?
    It does not seem to appear as a module under lsmod ;
    the same radeon modules as before are listed.

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vesa+driver

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedSep 5, '11 at 9:30p