I restarted the a Centos 5.6 server tonight and I ran in this issue:

I was able to boot.
Then instead of a normal boot with graphical interface the system requested :
'Enter run level'
'INIT'
I typed 5
then I got 'INIT: no more process left in this run level

How can I recover from the situation?
This is a production system back-up are made but left on the disk and transfer at the end of the day into an other system

---
Michel Donais
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Always Learning at Sep 3, 2011 at 10:47 pm

    Then instead of a normal boot with graphical interface the system
    requested :
    'Enter run level'
    'INIT'
    I typed 5
    then I got 'INIT: no more process left in this run level
    Try 3.

    If that does not work try 1 and see if the machine will start.

    Paul.
  • Michel Donais at Sep 4, 2011 at 9:29 am
    Subject: Re: [CentOS] big problem at boot

    Then instead of a normal boot with graphical interface the system
    requested :
    'Enter run level'
    'INIT'
    I typed 5
    then I got 'INIT: no more process left in this run level
    Try 3.

    If that does not work try 1 and see if the machine will start.
    I also tried 1 and 3

    It's whorst than expected.
    I booted the system with a Centos 5.6 boot disc in rescue mode and when it's
    time to search for linux partition on the system hard disk I get a message
    telling that there is no partition on that disk.

    So what's next to recover

    ---
    Michel Donais
  • Always Learning at Sep 4, 2011 at 11:23 am