In KDE 4, I click:

Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
Network Settings > Network Settings

I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported.
(This did not happen before.) I am offered choices.
I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this wrong? I also tried
RedHat 9.0.).

I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list
*** even though I am presently running eth0 and can
successfully ping google.com through it.***.

Now I set that interface using a GUI just a few days ago.
I will say, the GUI looks different.

So what's happening?

Thanks for your help.
Mike.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Roth at Sep 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

    Michael D. Berger wrote:
    In KDE 4, I click:

    Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
    Network Settings > Network Settings

    I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported.
    (This did not happen before.) I am offered choices.
    I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this wrong? I also tried
    RedHat 9.0.).
    Use RHEL 6. RH 9 was before RH started RHEL.
    I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list
    *** even though I am presently running eth0 and can
    successfully ping google.com through it.***.
    Are you running this as root, or did it ask for root's password?
    <snip>
    mark
  • Michael D. Berger at Sep 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

    Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
    Network Settings > Network Settings

    I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported. (This did
    not happen before.) I am offered choices. I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this
    wrong? I also tried RedHat 9.0.).
    Use RHEL 6. RH 9 was before RH started RHEL.
    I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list *** even though
    I am presently running eth0 and can successfully ping google.com
    through it.***.
    Are you running this as root, or did it ask for root's password? <snip>
    mark
    I see "Red Hat Linux 6.0 Hedwig", I see no "RHEL" on the list.
    Is this missing?

    I am root.

    Thanks,
    Mike.
  • Mark Roth at Sep 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

    Michael D. Berger wrote:
    Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
    Network Settings > Network Settings

    I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported. (This did
    not happen before.) I am offered choices. I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this
    wrong? I also tried RedHat 9.0.).
    Use RHEL 6. RH 9 was before RH started RHEL.
    I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list *** even though
    I am presently running eth0 and can successfully ping google.com
    through it.***.
    Are you running this as root, or did it ask for root's password? <snip>
    mark
    I see "Red Hat Linux 6.0 Hedwig", I see no "RHEL" on the list.
    Is this missing?

    I am root.
    ACK! Hedwig is about 10 years old. History: RH 1,2,3,4,5 (where I started
    using RH), 5.2,6 (Hedwig),7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8,9 (Shrike), RHEL1?2?,RHEL 3,RHEL
    4, RHEL 5, and just this year, RHEL 6.

    Something's wrong with your GUI options. Why not do it from the command line?

    mark
  • Michael D. Berger at Sep 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm
    ACK! Hedwig is about 10 years old. History: RH 1,2,3,4,5 (where I
    started using RH), 5.2,6 (Hedwig),7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8,9 (Shrike),
    RHEL1?2?,RHEL 3,RHEL 4, RHEL 5, and just this year, RHEL 6.

    Something's wrong with your GUI options. Why not do it from the command
    line?

    mark
    Is it just my GUI options, or is KDE 4 bad? Is any one else
    succeeding with CentOS 6 and KDE 4?

    I guess ifconfig and iwconfig are the commands to use. Right?

    Also, in view of all the problems I am having, perhaps I should
    drop back to CentOS 5.6. What do you think?

    Mike.
  • Mark Roth at Sep 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm