Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn at wright.edu
http://www.engineering.wright.edu/~mvanhorn/

Search Discussions

  • John R Pierce at Aug 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm

    On 08/25/11 12:09 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
    I'm confused as to how to install updates for CentOS 5.6 without upgrading
    to 6.0. When I do a "yum check-updates", the new *-release packages for
    6.0 are listed, so I don't think I want to do a simply "yum update".

    Is there a way to update 5.6 without going to 6.0?
    somethign is hosed in your yum.repos.d or something... it should not be
    installing a 6.0 -release package

    --
    john r pierce N 37, W 122
    santa cruz ca mid-left coast

    I'm confused as to how to install updates for CentOS 5.6 without
    upgrading to 6.0. When I do a "yum check-updates", the new *-release
    packages for 6.0 are listed, so I don't think I want to do a simply "yum
    update".

    Is there a way to update 5.6 without going to 6.0?
    somethign is hosed in your yum.repos.d or something... it should not be
    installing a 6.0 -release package
    Agreed. CentOS-5.6 will only upgrade to 5.7, 5.8, ...

    6.0 will in a similar fashion become 6.1, 6.2, ...

    If you have a system where yum wants to install the CentOS-6 centos-release
    then either the distribution network is horribly messed up or you've got an
    incorrectly modified local yum configuration. My guess is on the latter.

    /Peter