FAQ
Hello there and SFME.

Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
demonization script
anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.

1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?

Thanks
d.a.

Search Discussions

  • Craig White at Aug 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm

    On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:44 AM, Andrew Dorozhkin wrote:

    Hello there and SFME.

    Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
    demonization script
    anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.

    1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
    2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
    3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
    4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
    should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?
    ----
    subversion transports via local file system, ssh or http - there never was a sysv script to start it because there was never any service to start.

    Craig
  • Les Mikesell at Aug 25, 2011 at 6:06 pm

    On 8/25/2011 4:46 PM, Craig White wrote:
    On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:44 AM, Andrew Dorozhkin wrote:

    Hello there and SFME.

    Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
    demonization script
    anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.

    1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
    2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
    3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
    4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
    should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?
    ----
    subversion transports via local file system, ssh or http - there never was a sysv script to start it because there was never any service to start.
    Yes there is if you run a standalone svnserve, not started by ssh.

    The 5.x RPM includes:
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/svnserve

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com
  • Craig White at Aug 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm

    On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:06 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
    On 8/25/2011 4:46 PM, Craig White wrote:
    On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:44 AM, Andrew Dorozhkin wrote:

    Hello there and SFME.

    Since el6 subversion package doesn't contain traditional SysV
    demonization script
    anymore I wonder how it is supposed to run svnserve from now on.

    1) Should one write init script to be managed with service(8) on his own?
    2) Or launch svnserve on demand via (x)inetd?
    3) Or put svnserve command line in some rc-script?
    4) Or maybe is ra_svn deployment scheme not supported in el6 at all and one
    should stick with Apache/mod_dav_svn?
    ----
    subversion transports via local file system, ssh or http - there never was a sysv script to start it because there was never any service to start.
    Yes there is if you run a standalone svnserve, not started by ssh.

    The 5.x RPM includes:
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/svnserve
    ----
    ah - never installed or used it - simply used the ssh/http/file transports I guess - seemed to be enough.

    Craig
  • Andrew Dorozhkin at Aug 26, 2011 at 4:10 am

    26.08.2011 2:13, Craig White wrote:
    ah - never installed or used it - simply used the ssh/http/file transports I guess - seemed to be enough.
    Indeed, I really forgot to mention ssh-tunneling in the op-post.

    But I like"classic" svn:// access scheme with per-repo configuration and
    artificial user accounts stored in $REPO/conf/svnserve.conf most of all,
    so I have configured
    svnserve to be spawned on demand by xinetd already and it works well.

    Even though there is not an actual problem to make svnserve up and
    running in 6.x I am still
    concerned about possible reasons which lead to svnserve-as-daemon
    abandonment as of 6.0.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedAug 25, '11 at 5:44a
activeAug 26, '11 at 4:10a
posts5
users3
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase