OK, I know what I'm doing is "officially unsupported", but perhaps someone
has some suggestions...

I have a CentOS 5.6 system running as a virtual machine using VMware
player. I cloned the system, booted the clone to make sure everything
worked after cloning, it did. I then booted off a CentOS 6 ISO and did an
upgrade (I know, unsupported!). I've got the system to the point where
everything works except the keyboard.

If I boot to a command line, it works, as soon as X gets involved, there
is no response at all from the keyboard. The on-screen keyboard does
work. The physical keyboard works in the host OS and all of the other
guest OSes on the machine. It works in the original CentOS 5.6 VM.

I'm at a loss and would love some advice on where to look next.

Thanks!
Bruce

Search Discussions

  • Mark Roth at Aug 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm
    I have a CentOS 5.6 system running as a virtual machine using VMware
    player. I cloned the system, booted the clone to make sure everything
    worked after cloning, it did. I then booted off a CentOS 6 ISO and did an
    upgrade (I know, unsupported!). I've got the system to the point where
    everything works except the keyboard.

    If I boot to a command line, it works, as soon as X gets involved, there
    is no response at all from the keyboard. The on-screen keyboard does
    work. The physical keyboard works in the host OS and all of the other
    guest OSes on the machine. It works in the original CentOS 5.6 VM.
    <snip>
    You might want to play with xorg.conf (AFTER MAKING A BACKUP!!!) (I just
    adore xorg's rewriting a working one into a non-working one....

    mark
  • Bcb at Aug 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

    I have a CentOS 5.6 system running as a virtual machine using VMware
    player. I cloned the system, booted the clone to make sure everything
    worked after cloning, it did. I then booted off a CentOS 6 ISO and did
    an upgrade (I know, unsupported!). I've got the system to the point
    where everything works except the keyboard.

    If I boot to a command line, it works, as soon as X gets involved,
    there is no response at all from the keyboard. The on-screen keyboard
    does work. The physical keyboard works in the host OS and all of the
    other guest OSes on the machine. It works in the original CentOS 5.6
    VM.
    <snip>
    You might want to play with xorg.conf (AFTER MAKING A BACKUP!!!) (I just
    adore xorg's rewriting a working one into a non-working one....

    mark
    but there is no xorg.conf and there are indications on line that it's no
    longer used, preferring dynamic configuration and xrandr instead. Of
    course xrandr is only display, not kbd, configuration...

    Bruce
  • Mark Roth at Aug 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm

    bcb wrote:
[...]

    Dunno. I'm running 6 on my workstation, and I *do* have an xorg.conf,
    though I will admit that I'm also using kmod-nvidia, and twinview (two
    monitors, spanning).

    mark
  • Scott Robbins at Aug 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm

    I have a CentOS 5.6 system running as a virtual machine using VMware
    player. I cloned the system, booted the clone to make sure everything
    worked after cloning, it did. I then booted off a CentOS 6 ISO and did
    an upgrade (I know, unsupported!). I've got the system to the point
    where everything works except the keyboard.
    but there is no xorg.conf and there are indications on line that it's no
    longer used, preferring dynamic configuration and xrandr instead. Of
    course xrandr is only display, not kbd, configuration...
    Dunno. I'm running 6 on my workstation, and I *do* have an xorg.conf,
    though I will admit that I'm also using kmod-nvidia, and twinview (two
    monitors, spanning).
    If I rememeber correctly, nvidia modules usually create an xorg.conf.
    You might try reinstalling xorg-x11-drv-keyboard

    --
    Scott Robbins
    PGP keyID EB3467D6

    Buffy: I'm a great cook... in theory. I've
    eaten a lot
  • Scott Silva at Aug 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm

    on 8/9/2011 10:29 AM bcb spake the following:
    OK, I know what I'm doing is "officially unsupported", but perhaps someone
    has some suggestions...

    I have a CentOS 5.6 system running as a virtual machine using VMware
    player. I cloned the system, booted the clone to make sure everything
    worked after cloning, it did. I then booted off a CentOS 6 ISO and did an
    upgrade (I know, unsupported!). I've got the system to the point where
    everything works except the keyboard.

    If I boot to a command line, it works, as soon as X gets involved, there
    is no response at all from the keyboard. The on-screen keyboard does
    work. The physical keyboard works in the host OS and all of the other
    guest OSes on the machine. It works in the original CentOS 5.6 VM.

    I'm at a loss and would love some advice on where to look next.

    Thanks!
    Bruce
    Did you look for any leftover packages that didn't upgrade? Something like rpm
    -qa |grep el5
  • Bcb at Aug 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm

[...]

    bingo!

    xorg-x11-drv-evdev was still haning around from 5.6. Couldn't "update"
    it, so erased it, then installed it and all (so far) is right with the
    keyboard. There are a few others that are still "old" but that was the
    problem this time.

    Thanks!
    Bruce
  • Scott Silva at Aug 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm

    on 8/9/2011 12:34 PM bcb spake the following:
[...]

    I would do my best to eliminate any el5 leftovers, and replace with el6
    versions. It will only come back later and bite you...
  • Bcb at Aug 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

    I would do my best to eliminate any el5 leftovers, and replace with el6
    versions. It will only come back later and bite you...
    Of course!. At the moment, I've eliminated/upgraded all of the el5
    packages to el6 ones except for the various nss packages. The "problem"
    there (and maybe I'm just a bit ignorant about the right way around this)
    is nss-softokn-freebl which has a conflict with nss-3.12.8-4.el5_6.
    Normally I'd just rpm --erase --nodeps latter package, but when you do
    that, yum, rpm, etc no longer work to install the newer version,
    complaining vehemently about a missing nss package :-(

    I'd love to know how to resolve that issue.

    Thanks!
    Bruce
  • Scott Silva at Aug 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm

    on 8/9/2011 1:22 PM bcb spake the following:
    I would do my best to eliminate any el5 leftovers, and replace with el6
    versions. It will only come back later and bite you...
    Of course!. At the moment, I've eliminated/upgraded all of the el5
    packages to el6 ones except for the various nss packages. The "problem"
    there (and maybe I'm just a bit ignorant about the right way around this)
    is nss-softokn-freebl which has a conflict with nss-3.12.8-4.el5_6.
    Normally I'd just rpm --erase --nodeps latter package, but when you do
    that, yum, rpm, etc no longer work to install the newer version,
    complaining vehemently about a missing nss package :-(

    I'd love to know how to resolve that issue.

    Thanks!
    Bruce
    download all the deps ahead of time, then install locally
  • Scott Silva at Aug 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm

    on 8/9/2011 1:22 PM bcb spake the following:
    I would do my best to eliminate any el5 leftovers, and replace with el6
    versions. It will only come back later and bite you...
    Of course!. At the moment, I've eliminated/upgraded all of the el5
    packages to el6 ones except for the various nss packages. The "problem"
    there (and maybe I'm just a bit ignorant about the right way around this)
    is nss-softokn-freebl which has a conflict with nss-3.12.8-4.el5_6.
    Normally I'd just rpm --erase --nodeps latter package, but when you do
    that, yum, rpm, etc no longer work to install the newer version,
    complaining vehemently about a missing nss package :-(

    I'd love to know how to resolve that issue.

    Thanks!
    Bruce
    This is a shining example of why RedHat says NOT to upgrade between major
    versions. It takes as much (or more) work to fix it as it does to just start
    over...
  • Lamar Owen at Aug 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

    OK, I know what I'm doing is "officially unsupported", ...
    I have a CentOS 5.6 system running as a virtual machine using VMware
    player. I cloned the system, booted the clone to make sure everything
    worked after cloning, it did. I then booted off a CentOS 6 ISO and did an
    upgrade (I know, unsupported!). I've got the system to the point where
    everything works except the keyboard.
    Well, I ran into an ephemeral issue yesterday during a scratch install of C6 onto VMware ESX 3.5U5 (also not supported, but this time it's unsupported by VMware, not by CentOS). The install went well, and the initial update (200+ packages or so) went well, but the first reboot did not.

    I got a 'prefdm respawning too fast' issue and a text-mode console; I switched to a different VC, logged in as root, and issued a startx. Both the keyboard and mouse went away, and I could neither click on anything nor even switch to a different VC. I had to reset the VM hard, and was expecting a long day of troubleshooting, but when it rebooted that time it came up without issue, and everything works ok.

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedAug 9, '11 at 1:29p
activeAug 10, '11 at 10:12a