hi all,

on centos 5 - I could trim the number of mingetty's running by editing
/etc/inittab

on centos 6 there are none in the /etc/inittab file but it reverences
/etc/init/tty.conf.
I dont see in there how to control how many mingetty's get started.
Where is that?

THanks,

Jerry

Search Discussions

  • Grant McChesney at Aug 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm

    on centos 5 - I could trim the number of mingetty's running by editing
    /etc/inittab

    on centos 6 there are none in the /etc/inittab file but it reverences
    /etc/init/tty.conf.
    I dont see in there how to control how many mingetty's get started.
    Where is that?

    THanks,

    Check out ACTIVE_CONSOLES in /etc/sysconfig/init.
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Les Mikesell at Aug 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

    on centos 5 - I could trim the number of mingetty's running by editing
    /etc/inittab

    on centos 6 there are none in the /etc/inittab file but it reverences
    /etc/init/tty.conf.
    I dont see in there how to control how many mingetty's get started.
    Does that matter much? Multiple instances of a program should mostly
    share RAM anyway.

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com
  • Mark Roth at Aug 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm

    Les Mikesell wrote:
    on centos 5 - I could trim the number of mingetty's running by editing
    /etc/inittab

    on centos 6 there are none in the /etc/inittab file but it reverences
    /etc/init/tty.conf.
    I dont see in there how to control how many mingetty's get started.
    Does that matter much? Multiple instances of a program should mostly
    share RAM anyway.
    Assuming actually true reentrant code.

    mark
  • Les Mikesell at Aug 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm