FAQ
I installed CentOS 6 to Acer 7750 laptop, which has Intel Sandybridge CPU
( i5-2410M) with integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000.

By default X won't use intel driver for graphics, but vesa instead, which
limits the resolution to 1024x768. I tried to force the use of intel driver
by writing a xorg.cof file, but then X doesn't start at all.

I updated libdrm and xorg-x11-drv-intel from elrepo. This intel driver 2.15
is newer than in Fedora 15 Live CD, and with it the graphics work properly.

The problem seems to be related with i915 kernel module:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
FATAL: Error inserting i915
(/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
No such device
(EE) No devices detected.

I've tried kernels from CentOS Base repo, and CentOS-Plus repo too, no
difference.

I found a similar old bugzilla entry:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?idI5524

Somewhere (don't find the source any more) I saw that i915 would need
intel_agp module, and that would be the problem. This goes a little bit
beyond my knowledge level.

Maybe this has been fixed somewhere about a year ago:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/120293/
But is this patch something that is still missing from latest CentOS
kernels?

If someone has a solution for this, please advice.


Regards,
Timo

Search Discussions

  • Ned Slider at Jul 31, 2011 at 4:08 am

    On 30/07/11 14:40, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
    I installed CentOS 6 to Acer 7750 laptop, which has Intel Sandybridge CPU
    ( i5-2410M) with integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000.

    By default X won't use intel driver for graphics, but vesa instead, which
    limits the resolution to 1024x768. I tried to force the use of intel driver
    by writing a xorg.cof file, but then X doesn't start at all.

    I updated libdrm and xorg-x11-drv-intel from elrepo. This intel driver 2.15
    is newer than in Fedora 15 Live CD, and with it the graphics work properly.

    The problem seems to be related with i915 kernel module:

    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    FATAL: Error inserting i915
    (/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
    No such device
    (EE) No devices detected.
    That looks to me like the kernel driver also needs updating to support
    your hardware.

    The problem is that isn't trivial due to the dependencies that module has:

    $ modinfo i915 | grep depends
    depends: drm,drm_kms_helper,i2c-core,video,i2c-algo-bit

    So you'd also need to update those modules and their dependencies, and
    modules that depend on those modules might then break. As I said, not
    trivial. IMHO really you need to be running a newer kernel and/or distro
    with native support.
  • Marc Deop at Jul 31, 2011 at 6:29 am

    On Saturday 30 July 2011 16:40:45 Timo Neuvonen wrote:
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    FATAL: Error inserting i915
    (/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
    No such device
    (EE) No devices detected.
    You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.

    From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
  • Pasi Kärkkäinen at Jul 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm

    On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:29:59PM +0200, Marc Deop wrote:
    On Saturday 30 July 2011 16:40:45 Timo Neuvonen wrote:
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    FATAL: Error inserting i915
    (/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
    No such device
    (EE) No devices detected.
    You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.

    From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
    And in case of CentOS it means Redhat needs to backport the driver to el6 2.6.32 kernel.

    -- Pasi
  • Timo Neuvonen at Jul 31, 2011 at 4:28 pm
    "Pasi K?rkk?inen" <pasik at iki.fi> kirjoitti viestiss?
    news:20110731184737.GP32373 at reaktio.net...
    On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:29:59PM +0200, Marc Deop wrote:
    On Saturday 30 July 2011 16:40:45 Timo Neuvonen wrote:
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    FATAL: Error inserting i915
    (/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
    No such device
    (EE) No devices detected.
    You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.

    From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
    And in case of CentOS it means Redhat needs to backport the driver to el6
    2.6.32 kernel.
    I admit that my secret dream is that RH already would have done that for
    RHEL 6.1 kernels, otherwise it will take rather long time. AFAIK, they
    backport things like that only for new minor versions, so if it's not in 6.1
    in the beginning, it won't be there before 6.2?

    As a quick workaround I set up a dirty bomb: installed 2.6.38 from Fedora 15
    updates repo -so far it seems to work, and I wanted to have a very
    CentOS-like system for testing certain things in a portable hardware (easy
    to carry my virtual test machine farm to home in the evening). This is just
    a preliminary tester, not a production system, so it won't be a big problem
    if it crashes some day.

    --
    TiN
  • Keith Roberts at Jul 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Timo Neuvonen wrote:

    You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.

    From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
    And in case of CentOS it means Redhat needs to backport
    the driver to el6 2.6.32 kernel.
    I admit that my secret dream is that RH already would have done that for
    RHEL 6.1 kernels, otherwise it will take rather long time. AFAIK, they
    backport things like that only for new minor versions, so if it's not in 6.1
    in the beginning, it won't be there before 6.2?
    Is this good at all?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support

    Dynamic Kernel Module Support (DKMS) is a framework used to
    generate Linux kernel modules whose sources do not generally
    reside in the Linux kernel source tree. DKMS enables kernel
    device drivers to be automatically rebuilt when a new kernel
    is installed.

    An essential feature of DKMS is that it automatically
    recompiles all DKMS modules if a new kernel version is
    installed. This allows drivers and devices outside of the
    mainline kernel to continue working after a Linux kernel
    upgrade.

    Another benefit of DKMS is that it allows one to install a
    new driver on an existing system, running an arbitrary
    kernel version, without any need for manual compilation or
    precompiled packages provided by the vendor.

    I have DKMS installed on Centos 5.6, but have not actually
    got round to reading all the docs for it yet. I must have
    thought I needed it at one time for something.

    Installed Packages
    Name : dkms
    Arch : noarch
    Version : 2.1.1.2
    Release : 1.el5.rf
    Size : 232 k
    Repo : installed
    Summary : Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
    URL : http://linux.dell.com/dkms/
    License : GPL

    Kind Regards,

    Keith

    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Websites:
    http://www.karsites.net
    http://www.php-debuggers.net
    http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

    All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
    TMDA [http://tmda.net]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
  • Pasi Kärkkäinen at Jul 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm

    On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:28:12PM +0300, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
    "Pasi K?rkk?inen" <pasik at iki.fi> kirjoitti viestiss?
    news:20110731184737.GP32373 at reaktio.net...
    On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:29:59PM +0200, Marc Deop wrote:
    On Saturday 30 July 2011 16:40:45 Timo Neuvonen wrote:
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    FATAL: Error inserting i915
    (/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
    No such device
    (EE) No devices detected.
    You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.

    From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
    And in case of CentOS it means Redhat needs to backport the driver to el6
    2.6.32 kernel.
    I admit that my secret dream is that RH already would have done that for
    RHEL 6.1 kernels, otherwise it will take rather long time. AFAIK, they
    backport things like that only for new minor versions, so if it's not in 6.1
    in the beginning, it won't be there before 6.2?
    Correct.

    You could grab the el6.1 kernel src.rpm from ftp.redhat.com and read the changelog..
    (if redhat still lists all the changes in the changelog, now when they don't ship separate patches anymore..)

    As a quick workaround I set up a dirty bomb: installed 2.6.38 from Fedora 15
    updates repo -so far it seems to work, and I wanted to have a very
    CentOS-like system for testing certain things in a portable hardware (easy
    to carry my virtual test machine farm to home in the evening). This is just
    a preliminary tester, not a production system, so it won't be a big problem
    if it crashes some day.

    -- Pasi
  • Timo Neuvonen at Aug 1, 2011 at 5:40 am

    You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.

    From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
    And in case of CentOS it means Redhat needs to backport the driver to
    el6
    2.6.32 kernel.
    I admit that my secret dream is that RH already would have done that for
    RHEL 6.1 kernels, otherwise it will take rather long time. AFAIK, they
    backport things like that only for new minor versions, so if it's not in
    6.1
    in the beginning, it won't be there before 6.2?
    Correct.

    You could grab the el6.1 kernel src.rpm from ftp.redhat.com and read the
    changelog.. (if redhat still lists all the changes in the changelog, now
    when they don't ship separate patches anymore..)
    Looks like it's included in RHEL 6.1:
    http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/6.1_Release_Notes/desktop.html


    --
    TiN

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJul 30, '11 at 9:40a
activeAug 1, '11 at 5:40a
posts8
users5
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase