Hi all,

I am running 5.4

After running

sudo yum clean all
sudo yum update

We got it upgraded to 5.6

cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)

So, how can I get it my CentOS from 5.6 to 6.0?

[vuhung at -08 ~]$ sudo yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
* base: mirror.vietoss.com
* extras: mirror.vietoss.com
* updates: mirror.vietoss.com
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

TIA,

Vu Hung

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Alexander Dalloz at Jul 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

    Am 17.07.2011 19:59, schrieb Nguyen Vu Hung:
    Hi all,

    I am running 5.4

    After running

    sudo yum clean all
    sudo yum update

    We got it upgraded to 5.6

    cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS release 5.6 (Final)

    So, how can I get it my CentOS from 5.6 to 6.0?

    [vuhung at -08 ~]$ sudo yum update
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    * base: mirror.vietoss.com
    * extras: mirror.vietoss.com
    * updates: mirror.vietoss.com
    Setting up Update Process
    No Packages marked for Update

    TIA,

    Vu Hung
    As explained in the documentation there is no upgrade path between major
    versions supported. You may run an upgrade using the install media (DVD)
    at your very own risk. The general recommendation is: do a fresh install.

    Alexander
  • Digimer at Jul 17, 2011 at 2:06 pm

    So, how can I get it my CentOS from 5.6 to 6.0?

    [vuhung at -08 ~]$ sudo yum update
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    * base: mirror.vietoss.com
    * extras: mirror.vietoss.com
    * updates: mirror.vietoss.com
    Setting up Update Process
    No Packages marked for Update

    TIA,

    Vu Hung
    As far as I know, upgrading between major EL versions is not supported.
    A full re-install is recommended.

    If you wish to try anyway, you will probably need to change the repos to
    point to the EL6 repos instead of the EL5 repos.

    --
    Digimer
    E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
    Freenode handle: digimer
    Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
    Node Assassin: http://nodeassassin.org
    "At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
    a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
    through the sky with fire and math?"
  • Nguyen Vu Hung at Jul 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm
    Hello,

    As far as I know, upgrading between major EL versions is not supported.
    A full re-install is recommended.
    Currently, the OS is installed on a vmware, and arcording to the tech staff,
    due to technical, they can not install CentOS 6 or anything other than
    CentOS 5.4 :)
    If you wish to try anyway, you will probably need to change the repos to
    point to the EL6 repos instead of the EL5 repos.
    This seems reasonable (yet a little risky) and I definitely will try to
    do that.
    Anyone has done that before?

    BR,

    Nguyen Vu Hung