Thanks

James Pearson

Search Discussions

  • John Doe at Jul 13, 2011 at 11:51 am
    From: James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>
    Does anyone know how to get the installer to install the 32bit versions
    of 64bit RPMS? i.e. in the way it does for CentOS5.

    If you use a kickstart, you can specify packages with a specific arch:

    ? %packages
    ? glibc.i686
    ? %end

    JD
  • James Pearson at Jul 14, 2011 at 7:47 am

    James Pearson wrote:
    Installing 64bit CentOS6 only installs x86_64 and noarch RPMS - however,
    I have a number of legacy 32bit apps that require a number of 32bit RPMS
    to be installed.

    Does anyone know how to get the installer to install the 32bit versions
    of 64bit RPMS? i.e. in the way it does for CentOS5.
    After and bit of digging, it appears to be down to a change of a default
    setting in yum with CentOS6

    The yum config option multilib_policy is now 'best' in CentOS6 - in
    CentOS5 it is 'all' - which means CentOS6 will only install the x86_64
    version if both a x86_64 and i686 RPM exists in the repo

    I guess if I want to revert this back to 'all', I'll need to hack
    anaconda to add 'multilib_policy=all' to the temporary yum config file.

    James Pearson
  • James Pearson at Jul 15, 2011 at 6:36 am

    James Pearson wrote:
    James Pearson wrote:
    Installing 64bit CentOS6 only installs x86_64 and noarch RPMS - however,
    I have a number of legacy 32bit apps that require a number of 32bit RPMS
    to be installed.

    Does anyone know how to get the installer to install the 32bit versions
    of 64bit RPMS? i.e. in the way it does for CentOS5.

    After and bit of digging, it appears to be down to a change of a default
    setting in yum with CentOS6

    The yum config option multilib_policy is now 'best' in CentOS6 - in
    CentOS5 it is 'all' - which means CentOS6 will only install the x86_64
    version if both a x86_64 and i686 RPM exists in the repo

    I guess if I want to revert this back to 'all', I'll need to hack
    anaconda to add 'multilib_policy=all' to the temporary yum config file.
    In case anyone needs to do this - here is what I've done:

    As I install over NFS from a local copy of the distro, I created a
    directory called 'RHupdates' at the top level of the install tree and
    copied in the file 'yuminstall.py' from the anaconda RPM to that directory.

    I edited the RHupdates/yuminstall.py file and added after line 1186:

    multilib_policy=all

    i.e. that line gets added to the /tmp/anaconda-yum.conf file anaconda
    uses to do the install via yum (files in the RHupdates directory will
    override files of the same name used by anaconda).

    I guess I could have done something similar via a kickstart file (which
    I haven't tested) - e.g.

    %pre
    echo "multilib_policy=all" >> /tmp/anaconda-yum.conf

    After the install, I added the same "multilib_policy=all" line to
    /etc/yum.conf - so a subsequent 'yum update' will update the 32bit
    packages as well.

    James Pearson
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Jul 15, 2011 at 10:12 am

    James Pearson wrote:
    James Pearson wrote:
    James Pearson wrote:
[...]

    I had a problem with 32-bit rpms on 64-bit system. I tried to install
    krusader-2.0.0.i386 in 64-bit system, and it reported that files from
    openssl(I think) x86_64 conflicts with files in same package but i686.
    That means that there are packages that can only be install as pure
    64-bit, no multilib.

    Ljubomir
  • John Hodrien at Jul 15, 2011 at 10:16 am