I am trying to understand how my USB drive is setup in Centos 5.5
-- especially since I made a mistake of backing up to it when it
was not turned on.

The USB drive is accessed as /media/disk. However, when I did a
backup WITHOUT the drive turned on, the data was put into the
directory, /media/disk.

Now, when I turn on the USB drive (it is self-mounted in 5.5),
the USB drive has been assigned "disk-1" -- understood. What I
am missing is the "table" that contains the information pointing
to USB drive, disk-1. I would like to reset the table so that
"disk" is the USB drive and delete the data that is now on my
main drive.

Hopefully I have explained the situation properly.

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Search Discussions

  • Joseph L. Casale at Jun 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm

    I would like to reset the table so that
    "disk" is the USB drive and delete the data that is now on my
    main drive.
    It's been a while since I paid attention to this, but afaik the directory
    under media is the volume name of the disc, with the exception you
    found, if that directory exists. Move it to a new name, so that directory
    does not initially exist.
  • Todd Cary at Jun 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm
    When I turn on the USB drive, it comes up with the name disk-1,
    so I assume that somewhere that has been assigned.

    Todd
    "disk" is the USB drive and delete the data that is now on my
    main drive.
    It's been a while since I paid attention to this, but afaik the directory
    under media is the volume name of the disc, with the exception you
    found, if that directory exists. Move it to a new name, so that directory
    does not initially exist.
    Ariste Software
    Petaluma, CA 94952

    http://www.aristesoftware.com
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Jun 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm

    Todd Cary wrote:
    When I turn on the USB drive, it comes up with the name disk-1,
    so I assume that somewhere that has been assigned.

    Todd
    "disk" is the USB drive and delete the data that is now on my
    main drive.
    It's been a while since I paid attention to this, but afaik the directory
    under media is the volume name of the disc, with the exception you
    found, if that directory exists. Move it to a new name, so that directory
    does not initially exist.
    Disconnect your USB drive and as root delete /media/.hal-mtab file. That
    file holds dir names for all USB drives. It will be recreated when you
    attach new USB drive.

    Ljubomir
  • Todd Cary at Jun 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm
    Thank you...

    Todd
    When I turn on the USB drive, it comes up with the name disk-1,
    so I assume that somewhere that has been assigned.

    Todd
    "disk" is the USB drive and delete the data that is now on my
    main drive.
    It's been a while since I paid attention to this, but afaik the directory
    under media is the volume name of the disc, with the exception you
    found, if that directory exists. Move it to a new name, so that directory
    does not initially exist.

    Ariste Software
    Petaluma, CA 94952

    http://www.aristesoftware.com
  • John Doe at Jun 3, 2011 at 11:01 am
    From: Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>
    Now, when I turn on the USB drive (it is self-mounted in 5.5),
    the USB drive has been assigned "disk-1" -- understood.? What I
    am missing is the "table" that contains the information pointing
    to USB drive, disk-1.? I would like to reset the table so that
    "disk" is the USB drive and delete the data that is now on my
    main drive.

    Did you "eject" (umount) your disk before you turned it off...?

    JD
  • Todd Cary at Jun 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm

    Everything is back in order...once I removed the "dot" file and
    cleaned up the disk.

    Many thanks to all...

    Todd

    --