I have a CentOS virtual private server from 1and1.com If I checkout or
pull something from a repository, it will contain an autogen.sh file
Running this and then configure seems to work. However, when I run make
I get a lot of error messages from libtool saying that such and such a
command could not be found on some line or that there is a syntax error.
This happens even with the latest updates. Several people have been
unable to help. What is the problem, and what should I do about it?

Thanks,
John

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA

  • Larry Brower at May 16, 2011 at 12:45 am

    I have a CentOS virtual private server from 1and1.com If I checkout or
    pull something from a repository, it will contain an autogen.sh file
    Running this and then configure seems to work. However, when I run make
    I get a lot of error messages from libtool saying that such and such a
    command could not be found on some line or that there is a syntax error.
    This happens even with the latest updates. Several people have been
    unable to help. What is the problem, and what should I do about it?

    Thanks,
    John

    If you try actually providing more information as well as some of the
    errors we might be able to help you. Im pretty sure that libtool isn't
    telling you "such and such a command could not be found on some line or
    that there is a syntax error."

    Again, to reiterate, provide useful information as opposed to just
    ranting about how something doesn't work and we might actually try to
    help you.
  • Scott Robbins at May 16, 2011 at 12:59 am

    I have a CentOS virtual private server from 1and1.com If I checkout or
    pull something from a repository, it will contain an autogen.sh file
    Running this and then configure seems to work. However, when I run make
    I get a lot of error messages from libtool saying that such and such a
    command could not be found on some line or that there is a syntax error.
    This happens even with the latest updates. Several people have been
    unable to help. What is the problem, and what should I do about it?

    It would help to be more specific. If you are "pulling something from a
    repository," do you mean that it's a CentOS program?

    When a command is not found, or a library is not found, one way to find
    it is with

    yum provides */<command_name>

    Can you give a specific example?

    --
    Scott Robbins
    PGP keyID EB3467D6

    Spike: A slayer with family and friends. That sure as hell wasn't
    in the brochure.
  • John J. Boyer at May 16, 2011 at 2:43 am
    The repository to which I am referring is the liblouis repository on
    googlecode. I get a working copy, which has an autogen.sh file. I run
    this and then configure. Make gives the following errors

    ../libtool: line 826: X--tagÌ: command not found
    ../libtool: line 859: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
    ../libtool: line 826: X--mode=compile: command not found
    ../libtool: line 992: *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 993: *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: Xgcc: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-DHAVE_CONFIG_H: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-I.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-I../../gnulib: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-I../liblouis: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-g: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-O2: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-MT: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: Xprogname.lo: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-MD: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-MP: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-MF: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X.deps/progname.Tpo: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-c: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1188: Xprogname.lo: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1193: libtool: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `': command not found
    make[3]: *** [progname.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

    This library compiles on my home Linus machine, which runs Redhat
    Enterprise Linux. It also builds with no problems.

    Sorry for not being more specific in my first message. If you need more
    information I will try to provide it.

    Thanks,
    John
[...]

  • Ken at May 16, 2011 at 2:58 am
    I haven't had this many errors doing a make in a long, long, long, long
    time... maybe never. (I'm saying that I'm guessing here....) It could
    be that you were in the wrong directory when you ran "make" or, more
    likely, you skipped a command (perhaps ".configure") that should have
    been run before running "make". Did a README file come with this
    tarball? If so, did you try looking through it for specific instructions?

[...]

    "Truth is the most valuable thing we have, so I try to conserve it."
    --Mark Twain
  • Leonard den Ottolander at May 16, 2011 at 6:59 am
    Hello John,
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-I.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-I../../gnulib: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-I../liblouis: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-g: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1136: X-O2: command not found
    Definitely an X issue ;) . See that "X" in every error? Seems like a bad
    substitution or something similar.

    Any idea where that "X" comes from? Did you accidently edit autogen.sh?
    Or perhaps your CentOS VM is an older version than your RHEL you use at
    home and the programme you are building needs more recent libtools?

    I reckon that onces you get rid of those X-es things should build fine.

    Regards,
    Leonard.

  • Jim Perrin at May 16, 2011 at 8:10 am