I'm trying to reinstall CentOS on a machine I've reconditioned for it,
but for reasons I can't fathom, when the installation disk comes up
and prompts for the install type, and I type either <enter> (graphics
isntall) or "linux text"<enter>, after it loads the initrd image, the
machine shuts off.

It's an older machine I built myself (and ran CentOS on for a number
of years), AMD Athlon 64 x2, 2GB of memory, 2 SATA hard drives, ECS
GE6100PM-M2 motherboard.

I should probably even know the answer to this one, but I'm stumped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Eero Volotinen at Mar 10, 2011 at 11:18 pm

    I'm trying to reinstall CentOS on a machine I've reconditioned for it,
    is it really working? check for broken memory chips and so..
    but for reasons I can't fathom, when the installation disk comes up
    and prompts for the install type, and I type either <enter> (graphics
    isntall) or "linux text"<enter>, after it loads the initrd image, the
    machine shuts off.

    It's an older machine I built myself (and ran CentOS on for a number
    of years), AMD Athlon 64 x2, 2GB of memory, 2 SATA hard drives, ECS
    GE6100PM-M2 motherboard.
    What error messages it displays?

    --
    Eero
  • Mark Hull-Richter at Mar 10, 2011 at 11:50 pm

    I'm trying to reinstall CentOS on a machine I've reconditioned for it,
    is it really working? check for broken memory chips and so..
    The memory was working perfectly before I put it into this boc (came
    out of another one that's been running for months).
    but for reasons I can't fathom, when the installation disk comes up
    and prompts for the install type, and I type either <enter> (graphics
    isntall) or "linux text"<enter>, after it loads the initrd image, the
    machine shuts off.

    It's an older machine I built myself (and ran CentOS on for a number
    of years), AMD Athlon 64 x2, 2GB of memory, 2 SATA hard drives, ECS
    GE6100PM-M2 motherboard.
    What error messages it displays?
    None - the dots print out, then the screen goes black and the machine shuts off.
  • Chris Weisiger at Mar 11, 2011 at 12:01 am
    Try checking the power supply, swap in another one from a different pc.

    Chris

    -----
    No virus found in this message.
  • Mark Hull-Richter at Mar 11, 2011 at 12:59 am