I'd like to install a working Java Plugin for Firefox, and I wonder how to go
about it. There's some documentation available online, but one quickly gets
the feeling it's quite a mess. I also admit being a contributor to the mess,
since the Linux book I published in June 2009 gives a detailed - and now
obsolete - description about installing JRE :

http://www.microlinux.fr/linux_aux_petits_oignons/chapitre_8/01.php#java

Any advice on how to go about that without jumping through burning loops? A
pointer to some concise documentation or, even better, a short and working
step-by-step HOWTO?

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs

Search Discussions

  • Barry Brimer at Nov 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm

    Any advice on how to go about that without jumping through burning loops? A
    pointer to some concise documentation or, even better, a short and working
    step-by-step HOWTO?
    The problem may be that in Firefox 3.6.6 (or some time close to that) the
    name of the Java plugin changed. It is no longer libjavaplugin_oji.so,
    rather it is now libnpjp2.so. It also changed locations within the
    installed JRE as well. If you have the current JRE installed, you should
    be able to get it working with the following command run as root:

    ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

    HTH,
    Barry
  • Keith Roberts at Nov 13, 2010 at 7:23 pm

    Any advice on how to go about that without jumping through burning loops? A
    pointer to some concise documentation or, even better, a short and working
    step-by-step HOWTO?
    The problem may be that in Firefox 3.6.6 (or some time close to that) the
    name of the Java plugin changed. It is no longer libjavaplugin_oji.so,
    rather it is now libnpjp2.so. It also changed locations within the
    installed JRE as well. If you have the current JRE installed, you should
    be able to get it working with the following command run as root:

    ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

    HTH,
    Barry
    There's a thread in the Centos 5 forum:

    https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id'062&forum8&post_id1135#forumpost111135

    HTH

    Keith Roberts
  • Topeak at Nov 14, 2010 at 2:11 am
    yesterday, i resolved the issue.

    type about:plugins in url box, then there is a link to firefox plugin
    document.

    at first, i used firefix-3.6. the java plugin always did not work.
    later, i changed the jdk version. it still not work.
    last, i changed to used firefox-3.5, then it's OK.

    therefor, you can change the firefox version to 3.5.

    notice, link /path-to-jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so to
    ~/mozila/plugins, not copy.

    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Przemysław Pawełczyk at Nov 14, 2010 at 3:18 am
    Hi,

    I missed the most posts of the thread so let me say those few words.

    First of all I use Java or OpenOffice.org from producers' websites.
    They are always "fresh" and installable in RHEL.

    I assume too, that the i386 and amd64 versions work the same way, only
    the lib names can be different.

    Thirdly, I cannot say now what method I used lately but either of them
    worked flawlessly. I installed Scientific Linux (CentOS) several times
    without any snags.

    So,

    1. The latest Java is attached to the latest OpenOffice.org RPMs.
    http://download.openoffice.org/other.html

    2. Java RPM can be downloaded from Oracle page:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com

    test Java:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

    Java directory with Java libs and plugins:
    /usr/java/jre1.6.0_21/lib/amd64

    I use to place OpenOffice.org in /opt directory. Java is installed here:
    /opt/openoffice.org/ure

    It must be working as it always worked here. ;-)

    Best regards,
    Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk

    Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]

  • Przemysław Pawełczyk at Nov 14, 2010 at 4:53 am

[...]

    A few words on plugin directories.

    Typical Linux directory /usr/share/mozilla/plugins does not work here.
    The right place for plugins in RHEL amd64, as in my 64bit example, is:
    /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins.

    I had to find out that because the libnpjp2.so library wasn't placed in
    user's ~/.mozilla/plugins directory and what made me so confused
    wondering why my Firefox 3.6.11 read the java pages without the
    library! :-)

    Summing up - the best way to find out what works or why something
    doesn't is a "small step approach" - trying to make use of the latest
    libs or apps from developers websites - not from the main repos for our
    system releases.

    Regards

    Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]

    http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2 at o2.pl

    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Przemysław Pawełczyk at Nov 14, 2010 at 5:19 am

    I use fedora i386. After i link the jre plugin file to user's
    ~/.mozilla/plugins directory, they both work very well.
    Hi,

    Of course, I only wanted to point to another directories where one
    would be able to place JRE and other plugins.

    Regards