We have a HP DL385 G6 server that is having an issue. Two of the 4
network cards are not being recognised by Linux.

We have quite a few other servers with the same hardware and no issues
but, before I call HP, I would like to make sure that I am not doing
anything wrong :)

I have tried with the kernel that came with CentOS 5.5 and the updated
one kernel-2.6.18-194.11.3.

I do an lspci and they're all there:

lspci | grep Eth
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
41:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet
41:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
Gigabit Ethernet

ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr D8:D3:85:A7:E4:24
UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:16394 (16.0 KiB) TX bytes:18384 (17.9 KiB)
Interrupt:217 Memory:fa000000-fa012800

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr D8:D3:85:A7:E4:26
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:209 Memory:f8000000-f8012800
(no more ethX)

ethtool eth2
Settings for eth2:
Cannot get device settings: No such device
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: No such device
Cannot get message level: No such device
Cannot get link status: No such device
No data available

If I do a search on /var/log/messages, all I get is the following
Sep 11 11:38:18 gs-prod-dwh01 kernel: bonding: bond1: Unable to set eth2
as primary slave as it is not a slave.
(the cards are set as two bonds, bond0 with eth0, eth1 and bond1 with
eth2, eth3):

lsmod shows that the bnx2 driver is loaded:
lsmod | grep bnx
bnx2 216653 0

/etc/modprobe.conf includes the following:
alias eth0 bnx2
alias eth1 bnx2
alias eth2 bnx2
alias eth3 bnx2

I have also tried to set eth2 and eth3 to use the bnx2x in
/etc/modprobe.conf, but all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gabriel

Search Discussions

  • Larry Vaden at Sep 11, 2010 at 10:52 am

[...]

    Notice that two of the cards are Rev 20, two are not.

    Look at each card to determine the Rev level of each card.

    Then populate the machine with only the Rev 20 cards and see if you
    get what you would expect.

    Then populate the machine with only the non-Rev 20 cards and see if
    you get what you would expect.

    There are a number of articles found by Google that indicate you may
    need to upgrade BIOS or use a later version of the driver.

    kind regards/ldv
  • Gabriel Tabares at Sep 11, 2010 at 11:04 am

[...]

    Unluckily, I have no physical access to the machine, so removing cards
    is not an option.
    There are a number of articles found by Google that indicate you may
    need to upgrade BIOS or use a later version of the driver.
    I have already upgraded the firmware to the latest.

    I will look for updated drivers for the cards.

    Thanks
  • John R Pierce at Sep 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm