I'm trying to boot into the shell of a XenServer 5.6 (I believe CentOS
5.5 underneath). I added init=/bin/sh to the boot line, but I'm still
getting an error. Here is the boot line:

mboot.c32 /boot/xen.gz com2W600,8n1 console=com2,vga dom0_memu2M
lowmem_em
ergency_pool=1M crashkerneldM at 32M --- /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen
root=LABEL=root-ju
aihdrs ro console=tty0 xencons=hvc console=hvc0 init=/bin/sh ---
/boot/initrd-2.
6-xen.img

And here's how it breaks:

Waiting for driver initialization.
Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
/bin/bash: : No such file or directory

Any help would be appreciated.

Russ

Search Discussions

  • Mark Roth at Jun 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm

[...]

    *bang*
    I *just* fought with that yesterday. It's a grub thing - the entry for
    what it's booting needs a line reading
    root (hd0,0)
    or whatever is appropriate. Note that if there's one bootable
    drive/partition, it will define that as hd0.

    mark
  • Stephen Harris at Jun 9, 2010 at 1:24 pm

    I'm trying to boot into the shell of a XenServer 5.6 (I believe CentOS
    5.5 underneath). I added init=/bin/sh to the boot line, but I'm still
    XenServer 5.6 is based on CentOS 5.4

    [root at penfold ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
    XenServer release 5.6.0-31188p (xenenterprise)
    [root at penfold ~]# rpm -q centos-release
    centos-release-5-4.el5.centos.1

    Aren't you better off taking XenServer questions to the Citrix forums?
    For example, the XenServer boot process uses extlinux and not grub;
    here's an area where XenServer diverges from CentOS and so you may get
    better answers from the correct support forum.

    --

    rgds
    Stephen

    Sent from Android mobile