Thanks to the whole team who makes Centos possible!

.---- Fred Smith /
( /__ ,__. __ __ / __ : /
/ / / /__) / / /__) .+' Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
/ / (__ (___ (__(_ (___ / :__ 781-438-5471
-------------------------------- Jude 1:24,25 ---------------------------------

Search Discussions

  • Robert Nichols at May 16, 2010 at 5:01 am

    On 05/15/2010 11:23 PM, fred smith wrote:
    a couple hours after the update (and requisite reboot and reinstallation
    of nvidia proprietary driver), I noticed I wasn't gettting any email.
    upon a little investigation, I noted that the update had replaced my
    custom sendmail.cf with its own. I don't recall updates to sendmail
    doing that previously,....
    Sounds like you installed a sendmail.cf that was not generated from
    /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and left the original sendmail.mc unmodified.
    The rpm updated the unmodified sendmail.mc configuration file. The
    startup script for sendmail then saw an apparently out-of-date
    sendmail.mc and rebuilt it from the new sendmail.cf.

    Do NOT delete it.
  • Robert Nichols at May 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

    a couple hours after the update (and requisite reboot and reinstallation
    of nvidia proprietary driver), I noticed I wasn't gettting any email.
    upon a little investigation, I noted that the update had replaced my
    custom sendmail.cf with its own. I don't recall updates to sendmail
    doing that previously,....
    Sounds like you installed a sendmail.cf that was not generated from
    /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and left the original sendmail.mc unmodified.
    The rpm updated the unmodified sendmail.mc configuration file. The
    startup script for sendmail then saw an apparently out-of-date
    sendmail.mc and rebuilt it from the new sendmail.cf.
    Got the file names reversed in that last sentence. Sorry. Should
    read:

    "The startup script for sendmail then saw an apparently out-of-date
    sendmail.cf and rebuilt it from the new sendmail.mc."

    Do NOT delete it.
  • Fred smith at May 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm

    a couple hours after the update (and requisite reboot and reinstallation
    of nvidia proprietary driver), I noticed I wasn't gettting any email.
    upon a little investigation, I noted that the update had replaced my
    custom sendmail.cf with its own. I don't recall updates to sendmail
    doing that previously,....
    Sounds like you installed a sendmail.cf that was not generated from
    /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and left the original sendmail.mc unmodified.
    The rpm updated the unmodified sendmail.mc configuration file. The
    startup script for sendmail then saw an apparently out-of-date
    sendmail.mc and rebuilt it from the new sendmail.cf.
    Got the file names reversed in that last sentence. Sorry. Should
    read:

    "The startup script for sendmail then saw an apparently out-of-date
    sendmail.cf and rebuilt it from the new sendmail.mc."
    thanks for the clarification.

    that's odd (unless my memory is going--a real possibility).

    I've got "fcshome.mc" and "fcshome.cf", the latter made from the former,
    and then copied to sendmail.cf. I've done it that way for over a decade.
    that way my custom .mc never gets clobbered by a new one from the RPM
    package being installed.

    nevertheless, your suggestion sounds reasonable. I think I'll try making
    a copy of fcshome.mc as sendmail.mc then see if the right thing happens
    next time sendmail gets an update. that way, if sendmail.mc gets stepped
    on it won't affect my customized one and I can always fall back to the
    manual way of doing things.

    Thanks again!

    While we were still sinners,
    Christ died for us.
  • Samuel machua at May 16, 2010 at 5:56 pm
    Hi Fred, were you able to fix your mail problem is seem to be having the
    same issue.